Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
donate squares to afghans for the homeless?

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 15:58

At Michael's, I picked up the description of afghan squares to make and donate to the store for stitching into afghans for the poor. Any design of worsted yarn in a 7" by 9" rectangle will do. I had some bright orange worsted that I decided to use up this way and knitted or crocheted 4 nice rectangles. Just have to sew in the ends. I knit one in cable, crocheted one in basket weave, crocheted another in sc and knit the last in alternating rows of clusters. Someone will have some bright, cheery rectangles in their afghan.

You drop them off at the store in the collection basket. They are also looking for people who would be willing to work the rectangles into the afghans.

So get out your worsted scraps and make a warm rectangle. Drop them off at your local participating yarn shop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: donate squares to afghans for the homeless?

I have a stack of about 12 of those accumulated now and will take them to Michaels one day. It's nice brainless work to do between projects and helps get rid of yarn. I think it's through the Warm Up America program. The only hard thing about it is getting the width right.

o

Yes, I am going to try to block a couple of them to the exact measurement. Since I used acrylic Red Heart, not sure how well I can set the blocked measurement.

o

That's a good idea, blocking. Think I'll do that too. Just stretch it out to size, pin, then spray with water and let dry?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here