Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamalo3

wedding gown crochet pattern

mamalo3
17 years ago

i am wondering if anyone would have any idea where i could get a pattern for a wedding gown, not for a doll. a real gown...my daughter is getting married next year. and i just got this urge to see if there are such patterns ....i am very curious to see what it would be like... thanks...lois

Comments (30)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

I have seen them, but not sure where. Try Googling for one.

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

They make them out of duct tape, toilet paper, you name it... so I got curious and found these:

http://www.sol.co.uk/c/cbacon/weddingdress1.htm -- lovely patterns, somewhat non-traditional

https://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1250 -- a more traditional looking dress

You can probably find more but that was a quick google... also, you could probably easily modify dress or top/skirt patterns to make a wedding gown. Fun project! Let us know if you decide to tackle it!

• mamalo3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

carlo ann... i just went to the web site of dreamweaver yarns...that dress was beautiful.... i am having trouble with the other web address. could you help me out. i do like the first one thought.thank you so very much...lois

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

I'm not sure why the address won't work but I'm posting it as a link... see if this works!

Here is a link that might be useful: try this

• mamalo3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

carol ann thank you so much that web site worked it opened right up. you were a great help. i will let you know how far i get with this idea....lois

• profsusan
    17 years ago

I have one someplace so I will look for it. send me an e-mail so that I can send an attachment. I also have one that Donna sent me last year so I can send you that one too.

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Susan, I almost responded to this post when Lois asked, but couldn't for the life of me find the pattern I sent you. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to copy me again? I'd really appreciate it. Or maybe you could tell me what the name of the file is and I can locate it on my hard drive again.

Thanks.

• profsusan
    17 years ago

Donna, I'm sending you the picture of the dress - you labeled it dress patterns. Unfortunately I only have the dress picture not the complete directions. This was when I was having all that trouble with hotmail and it trashed mail before I even saw some of it. Hope you can locate the directions for Lois. I am sending it from my gmail account which has been much better. When I locate and scan the other pattern, I will send that one to you also.

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Thanks, Susan. I'm having trouble receiving email as well. It's spotty at best while our provider tries to figure out what's going on before all of his clients jump ship. Stuff will sit on his server for days and then all of a sudden it will burp and we'll get hundreds of emails.

• mamalo3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

profsusan...thank you for looking for me i appreciate whatever you find.. thanks to all of you for helping out too..lois

• profsusan
    17 years ago

patterns were sent via YouSendIt.com

hope you find something she likes!

• mamalo3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i just want to thank everyone....for all the help...we are going to get the pattern from dreamweaver yarn...thats such a beautiful gown.. i want to make it strapless...so lets see..how far this goes.. if you all would like the update.. i will gladly keep you informed.....oh she will be getting married on an island,april 08...so i have time....lol....thanks again ....lois

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

I remember seeing the pattern on the cbacon site before, Carol Ann. It is so lovely--the one on the top left with the bride wearing the cloche hat. It would make a nice evening dress too. Too bad you can't tell what kind of yarn is called for. I suspect a fingering yarn in a wooly texture. Just cannot tell.

Good luck Mamalo in converting the dreamweaver's dress to strapless. I would not be as brave. It sure is pretty, and that one looks like it is made of crochet cotton thread. If you have never used crochet cotton thread, let me tell you that the final product looks much nicer after it has been washed to remove the sizing on the thread, which makes the thread a little wire like to use. Once washed, all the stitches look much more even and it drapes beautifully.

Also, if it calls for size 10 cotton thread (it is sometimes called bedspread weight) look for the large barrels of size 10 cotton thread at Michael's. They are about $15 and contain over a mile of one continuous thread, so you won't have lots of ends to weave in. Look for the Michael's 40% off coupons in the mailers or Sunday paper.

• mamalo3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i am going to order the pattern this week and one of the skeins of yarn it calls for,just to give it a try ..i will let you know...thanks for the advice on the cotton yarn...lois

• profsusan
    16 years ago

if you still like the pattern, why not look for another yarn that would yield the same gauge - I agree that you need something else for an island...a soft cotton or one that has a shimmer like cool crochet from Bernat but that is probably too heavy for the pattern. Good luck you still have plenty of time.

• mamalo3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

susan...i was thinking of changing the yarn but the pattern says it will be stretchy.and the cottons are not. so i was a little afraid to cahnge it may not size right... what do you think ...lois

• profsusan
    16 years ago

Lois,
    Now that your daughter wants a more traditional dress, have her check these out. We found these when my son was getting married - reasonably priced about $500 (at least last fall) and perfect for that island wedding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Destination Wedding Dresses

• mamalo3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

susan i looked at that site what beautiful gowns they show...i will foward it to her and let her see. thank you for the information...my son had a small wedding, my youngest daughter had a very beautiful wedding 22 people in the bridal party..now the middle one has to drive us nuts she changed her plans already 3 times.....so the saga continues.....lol....thank you again lois

• jrym04_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Hello. I found this forum in my own search for a crocheted wedding dress pattern. Specifically, i'm looking for Leaflet pattern #917-NB, which appeared in the spring/summer 1978 issue of McCalls Needlework and Craft. It's a lovely garden wedding dress with a tank-style bodice and a portrait-neckline jacket. I have a photo if anyone's interested in seeing it. Would anyone know how i can find the pattern, or perhaps something similar? Thanks!

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Kelly, please do post a picture so we can see what we are looking for. You never know. Also, I've recently come into some lovely patterns for wedding dresses. They, unfortunately, are in Spanish, but I believe the symbols might be enough to help you decipher them.

• jrym04_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

please excuse my ignorance, but i don't know how to post a picture. can someone tell me? thanks. and donna, do you have pictures of your spanish patterns?

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Kelly, check your email for photos of the Spanish mag. I always have trouble posting pics here, but I do know that you must have your photos posted on the web somewhere - like Photobucket, or Flickr. Use the image code to post the photo. Alternatively, you can put the URL in the appropriate box when you post and we can click on the link to go to the photo.

• yank72
    16 years ago

thanks, donna. there are some lovely dresses in there. i'll print them out and go over them with my mother-in-law. meanwhile, here's the dress i was refering to: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=91564719205.418729466505.1196142600482&photoid=883855498505&folderid=0amp;view=1&page=1&sort_order=&albumsperpage=&navfolderid=2007. hope you can see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: wedding dress

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Sorry. "Album not found".

• needlehappynana
    16 years ago

did you get the pattern you wanted. I have alot of the old patterns ripped out of the old books. I probably have the pattern you wanted from Mccalls. I have several beautiful crochet and knitted wedding dress patterns. I can't get to them until after christmas but if you would like i can get them for you then.
    I just joined the group i wish i had earlier and i could have helped you then.

• acraftylady
    14 years ago

One of the magazines had a georgeus one a few years ago but I can't remember if it was crochet today or what but it was just lovely. Mary

• sunnypick_canby_com
    13 years ago

Does any body know where i can find crocheted patterns for wedding dresses

• Babka NorCal 9b
    13 years ago

Ebay. Here's one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish Lace Wedding dress pattern

• acraftylady
    13 years ago

One of the magazines had one a few years ago. It was either crochet today, Crochet! or interweave crochet, definately one of those 3 and it was just lovely. If I can remember what one will post the info. Mary

• patterncollector
    12 years ago

I would suggest the Nazli Gelin Book 2 Garden Party that has two patterns that could be adapted for wedding dresses. One is shown in beige or ivory and has a lot of open space; the other is a white tunic with a scoop neck, short sleeves, plain bodice with a natural waist, and then a skirt part in a vertical herringbone pattern. The skirt could be made any length desired, and beading around the neckline and sleeve edge would be darling. The book is available from Universal Yarn Company and can be found through "Google" on the internet.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions