Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

knitting lace is kicking my butt lol!

rosajoe_gw
9 years ago

I am a long time crocheter (is that a word lol) and quilter. I started knitting prayer shawls and then I knitted easy afghans and wanted to branch out to more difficult patterns.

I found a shawlette on Ravalry, read all of the reviews and looked at each project posted and decided to give it a try.

The reviews stated it was straight forward, good for a beginner project. I have never worked from a chart and the author had both written instructions and a chart, so I thought this is a good way to learn charts.

OMG!!!!! I have started over so many times I think I know the start of the pattern by heart. I have learned that, just like any other craft, experienced crafters take it for granted that the newbies know things that I do not!

My head is swimming taking the odd rows and reversing them lol!!!!!

BUT, I really am getting hooked on knitting lace.
Rosa

Comments (8)

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

I'm right there with ya! I bought a pattern from KnitPicks a few weeks ago that has a charted design. It's a scarf called "Wild Orchid Ruffled Lace Scarf". I have never used a chart before and convinced myself that because it is such a small chart, I could do it. But I am really scared about it, LOL. I had the same trepidation when it came to knitting socks. I avoided it for so many years and now I LOVE making socks! I haven't started the scarf yet. I have to finish an afghan I am making for a friend first. The scarf is to be a Christmas present for my daughter-in-law, so I'm hoping I have plenty of time to figure it all out.

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna, I saw that pattern, it is gorgeous! I think if you can knit socks you will have no problems!

Looking forward to seeing your pics!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

You can do it, Rosa and Donna!

I've done a lot of crochet from charts but I also recently did my first knitting from a chart (the shawl I posted a few weeks ago). It was very interesting trying to figure it out! It seemed like the instructions for reading the chart and the chart itself showed different things. Fortunately she had the rows written out, also. After a while I was able to see on the chart what I was reading in the rows.

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Miss Enabler Donna! Your shawl was what pushed me over the edge lol!

What I had so many problems with was example:

odd rows sl1,p1 then 14 stitches of the chart k1
    even rows sl1, then 14 stitches of the chart k2

I didn't understand that even though she stated the instructions for the even row they were to be knitted in the reverse. I started over so many times my yarn should have been frayed lol! Luckily, we were getting a lot of rain so I could let my yard work go!

The reviews state the finished project does not look like the authors (Iknow mine won't lol) and after I get the pattern right I want to increase it to a shawl.

I'm in awe of the knitters that can look at the chart and work the even rows. I had to write all of mine out and I STILL make mistakes.
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: LuckyQuatrefoilShawlette

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

Donna, thanks for your words of encouragement. May I call on you if I run into trouble?

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

Ooohhh, Rosa, that thing is beautiful!

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is - but the pattern is for a shawlette - and her pic is a shawl. Many of the projects stated that the final result did not look just like her pics.

I played with yarns and needle sizes and decided to use Red Heart Shimmer and size 10 needles. I still do not have the open weave look hers has but it's OK for a learning project.

Also, the projects state that the most difficult part (for the experienced) was all of the blocking. One interest for me in the pattern is that it is all one piece. Many of the lace patterns were using terms I had never heard of lol!

Your socks are beauties too! They're on my list for some day!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Donna, I won't make any guarantees, but I'll be happy to try to help if you need it!

Rosa, that is a beautiful shawl. That's strange they would post pictures of a project that wasn't exactly what the pattern makes. The shawl I made came out pretty small, too...the photos must have been taken on a really tiny mannequin! :) I added 3 or 4 repeats of the pattern to make it bigger and it's still smaller than I wanted.

Donna

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures
More Discussions