Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izzie_gw

tooth brush rugs

izzie
16 years ago

I didn't know which forum to place this under, not sewing, figured the knitting/crochets people would know more about this.(I have never done either) I have been wanting to try this for years and recenting found some instructions on a web site, whimfield.com under projects, videos included! I have started one, it's about 18' across so far, however it is getting to be bowl shaped. I did what I thought were increases, a few at each 'turn' (doing oval rug) but maybe I need to do 2 'knots per hole' all along the curve. Has anyone out there made one of these and have any suggestions on preventing it from ending it become a bowl?

Check out the this womans web page, its really interesing

wimfield.com

you can also find it on youtube, just do a search for tooth brush rugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: toothbrush rug

Comments (6)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Making too many increases or too many decreases will both cause the "bowl" effect. But if you are making too many increases the bowl will eventually turn into a ruffle. I suggest that you lay your piece out and flatten it the best you can and see if it appears too tight or if you in fact get a small ripple or wave. That will tell you if you need to increase or decrease more often.

• izzie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If anyone wants to know I started doing 2 "knots" every other hole on the turns and it seems to be working, will decrease doubles as rug gets bigger. Also being careful not to pull too tightly.

• Lara
    15 years ago

Hi izzy. I sorta stumbled upon this board by accident, but I'm glad I did. I'm glad you figured out how to solve the problem on your rug. I like to sit at the kitchen table and work on my toothbrush rugs there. I can lay it down on the table and I can see how it's comining along as I work. If it starts to "cup" I know I need more increases. You can usually tell by the size of the stitch just below, if it's real large, you could use an icrease there. Also, if your next stitch seems too far away to the left, you could use an increase stitch.
    I've made several rugs and the more I make, the better I get at it! I've made round, and heart shapes, but I love the oval ones best! Can we post pics on this board? Sure would like to see a pic of yours when you're done.

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

Lara...yes, you can post pics on this forum....many of us use photobucket, which is free, and a good way to warehouse your pics, too.

• izzie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes I will post a picture when I get my son to help me. It's slow going now and not sure what size I am going to do.I bought 2 twin sheets from Goodwill still not through the first sheet and it about 18" x 24". Probably stop at about 5" more. My first one so may not be real pretty.

• izzie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finished my first one. Turned out pretty good. Have to have my son help with picture when he gets back from Spain...He went with students from his High School and 2 teachers. Yikes, didn't think I would miss him this much. Can't wait to see his next e-mail(His is a only)Started on second one. I have checked out ESTY.com to see how others use colors..Any one know how to do a square one, or is that more of the croquet method?
    Found out per someones advice how to figure starting row to determine size of oval. Finished size 36" X 20". Subtract the width from length and that is the length the begining row should be. 36-20=16. First row should be 16" long then start going around and around. Picture to come in about 2 weeks I guess

Sponsored
More Discussions