Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_ferguson_gw

Donna - re round baby blanket inst.

sandra_ferguson
15 years ago

Donna....I looked at this pattern, and is this what you're saying?....the pattern is worked over 8 rounds, rather than 10?...(because what they call the 5th row should really be the 3rd, so we end up with 8 rounds rather than 10?) That's the way I'm reading the pattern (which jumps from row 2 to row 5)...it should read like this...right? If not, HELP!

Cast on 5 stitches,

knit around (rnd 1). Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round.

(Rnd 2), make 1 stitch in each stitch (10 stitches).

Round 3: *k1, yo* around to marker. (20 stitches).

Round 4: knit

Round 5: *k2, yo* around to marker.

Round 6: knit

Round 7: *k3, yo* around to marker.

Round 8: knit

Continue this pattern of adding a stitch in each section- When needed, switch from using the double points to a circular needle.

When the blanket has reached the desired diameter, cast/bind off. Now your blanket is complete, unless you want to embellish it with an edging.

Comments (9)

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Sandra, I don't have my knitting needles with me at work (okay, I do, but there's a pair of socks on them and no waste yarn to play with), and I haven't actually tried the pattern, but what you posted is the way I think it is. The only other possibility I can think of is that they want you to just knit on the 10 stitches for two rounds before increasing to 20 stitches (in which case row 5 would be as it is in the original pattern and they just left out to knit rows 3 and 4 on 10 stitches). But you'll have to try it to see if that makes the piece buckle.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Donna....I think we're right about this..jumping from 10 to 20 stitches seems like it'd make a 'ripply' round...I may not try it for a while, but will let you know if and when I do....and, you do the same, please.

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Tonight while I'm watching TV, I will have to give this a try, because I am curious. I'll let you know.

• patt55s
    15 years ago

Hi Donna and Sandra
    I have been reading your posts and if either of you figure it out could you let me know for I have spent the last three days trying two different patterns for a round blanket and can't get either to work. I have had allot of help from another knitter who has been so nice but doesn't seem to be working. I will keep trying and will keep you posted! My email is Streck55@roadrunner.com Have a great night, Patti

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Alright, I sat down with my needles and yarn and the pattern works with a variation or two. Also, the wording is a bit odd on the second row, which may be why it isn't working for some of you. I am changing the wording just a bit. See if this helps:

Cast on 5 stitches.

Round 1: Knit around. Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round.

Round 2: Knit into the front and back of each stitch around (10 stitches).

Round 3 (and all odd numbered rounds): Knit around.

Round 4: *K1, YO*, repeat between * * around to marker (20 stitches).

Round 6: *K2, YO*, repeat between * * around to marker (30 stitches).

Round 8: *K3, YO*, repeat between * * around to marker (40 stitches).

Round 10: *K4, YO*, repeat between * * around to marker (50 stitches).

And so on, until you've reached the size you wish the blanket to be.

It's really very simple, albeit awkward for the first few rounds. I would like to offer a couple of tips. When I am making something circular, I like to place markers at the beginning of each section (in this case there are 10). I make the beginning of the round a different color or type of marker. Also, once you get to the point that you have a substantial number of stitches on the needles, I suggest you move them around the needles so that you never have a YO at the end of a needle, as you do in the beginning, because it is very easy for this to either slip off the needle accidentally, or you may even think you have made a mistake (because it just looks weird hanging there at the end of the needle) and you slip it off on purpose.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Donna...I'm goinna delete all other instructions I've saved, and stick your terrific ones in. I figured if you/I just sat down with some thread and needles, it's become clear what to do. I often have to do that...

• pandora429
    15 years ago

I dont knit, but found these instuctions on line and thought that they might be helpful for a visual. Hope this can clarify your instructions.
    Good Luck Girls!!

http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks pandora, but these are the same instructions we think are wrong.....however, a picture is always so helpful, isn't it. I've copied and pasted it for my knitting folder, as I'm really a visual sort of person...I pretty much need to see things as well as read instructions!

• pandora429
    15 years ago

Sorry Donna, when I read the instructions it sounded like the one you were doing with pictures. I was trying to help. I am a visual person and sometimes when I see what I am trying to do it is more helpful. I am sure right now you have it figured out. You are so talented!!! Good luck girls!!!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz
More Discussions