Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_ferguson_gw

'sharing' current patterns

sandra_ferguson
14 years ago

I wondered what the companies or individuals who create new patterns feel about the 'sharing' of patterns, so out of curiosity, I wrote Mary Maxim....here is part of the reply;

" I might suggest that if it is no longer in print with us, that I would not have a problem with this. This would mean that only a pattern that is not available in our catalogue or on-line could be shared. We will not re-print those very old patterns ourselves."

Pretty clear, I think...okay to share out of print, or 'very old' patterns, but NOT those that are are currently on sale.

Comments (4)

• Maggie4
    14 years ago

Thanks Sandra, It is a shame when something so clear should be so difficult.

I also emailed GW to clear this up. I'm sure they are thinking it over. It is too bad this had to happen.

For those of you who enjoy knitting. Checkout the other sites that have been posted. Free patters for any kind of knitting,crocheting.

• gwtamara
    14 years ago

Hi Ladies,
    I posted to the other thread a couple of days ago, but some of you may have missed it -- so, I've cut and pasted below. Thanks!

I just wanted to stop and hopefully help clear up a few things. I understand this can be a volatile subject and it's certainly something that has been discussed frequently on hundreds of message boards and email loops.

Copying patterns without the permission of the author/publisher/designer IS a copyright violation. Lindsey, Paige, Anne and others are correct in the information they are sharing.

I can say this with great confidence both professionally and personally -- I've been a knitter and crocheter most of my life. I'll freely admit that at one time, I had absolutely no clue that this practice was wrong and had often copied patterns. It was truly a revelation when someone told me.

I know that many might say, 'So, I'm making ONE copy of a pattern. Big deal!' Well, if everyone were to feel that way, eventually it does add up. I have friends who are designers and I know how important it is to support them so they will continue to create wonderful patterns for us to enjoy.

Lindsey mentioned Ravelry -- I would definitely second that suggestion! I've found it to be one of the amazing resources out there. You will quickly become hooked.

So, are the copyright police going to come and knock on your door? Probably not, but that still doesn't mean that copying patterns is wrong and shouldn't be done. I also think that we need to be gentle with each other and kind to those that don't understand or know of this policy. No one likes to be accused of wrong-doing -- especially if you just haven't been aware.

If there are posts on the forum asking others to send or copy patterns, they will be removed. Please do not take this as a personal affront -- we are simply doing our job.
    I hope that you will continue to use this forum as a way to support each other and share your knowledge by helping others. If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to email me -- my address is on my profile page.

Tamara Amey
    GardenWeb Community Manager

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

Thanks Tamara maybe it shoud be made a FAQ for this forum

any time some person brings it up it feels like an attack

• Babka NorCal 9b
    14 years ago

Thank you Tamara.

-Babka