Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with Yo, sl1, k1, psso, k2

Posted by sally_grower (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 23:53

I am new to knitting and just completed a very pretty scarf called "Feather and Fan", so now I want to do "Christmas Lace" The pattern is Row 1 K3 Yo, sl1, psso, k2; repeat from * Row 2 is p3, *YO, p2 tog, p2; repeat from * to last 3 stitches, Yo p2 together, p1.

I have tried to do this at least 50 times and can not figure out how to do the pass over. Is it the 3rd yarn back that I pass over? I'm so confused now I'm about to give up!

Thanks so much for any advise or help. I did look at u-tube videos, but the only one that had this just confused me more!

Thanks again, Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with Yo, sl1, k1, psso, k2

I believe there is an error in that pattern. When you slip a stitch, it is impossible to PSSO because there is no stitch to slip the stitch over since it is the last stitch on the needle. Are you sure you have typed this correctly for us?

o

I agree with Donna. Either you have written it wrong or the pattern is written wrong. In order to pass a slipped stitch over you have to have something between the slipped stitch and the PSSO. You can't pass a slipped stitch over nothing.

I think your pattern should read

Row 1 K3 * Yo, sl1, K1, psso, k2; repeat from *
Row 2 is p3, *YO, p2 tog, p2; repeat from * to last 3 stitches, Yo p2 together, p1.

This makes sense to me because the YO replaces the stitch you remove with the Sl1,K1, PSSO and with the K2 together on the next row

Try it and see if it works

o

Thank you so much for trying to help me, I wish I could find someone to give me lessons! You're right I did type it in wrong! This is a copy of the pattern. It was free on Ravelry ao I hope it's OK to post it.
Is it the 3rd yarn back that I pass over?

Christmas Lace
Size: 76 inches long, 5 inches wide.
Materials:
size 6 knitting needles
2 skeins Inca Alpaca 109 yards/50 grams each
tapestry needle for weaving in ends
Gauge: gauge is not critical as you will block to desired size
Cast on 22 stitches.
Row 1: k3, *YO, sl1, k1, psso, k2; repeat from * to last 3 stitches, YO, sl1, k1, psso, k1
Row 2: p3, *YO, p2tog, p2; repeat from * to last 3 stitches, YO, p2tog, p1
Repeat these two rows until desired length ending with a row 2. Knit 1 row. Bind off and weave in ends. Soak in tepid water for 30
minutes. Lace blocking wires threaded through the outermost row of yarnovers on either side give a lovely even scarf. If you do
not own blocking wires try threading a colorfast thread or string through the yarnovers instead.
Copyright 2007 by Julia Sprague
stingdragon@gmail.com

o

No. It would be the second. You take the stitch you slipped and pass it over the one you just knitted. Does that make sense?

-Babka

o

It is the slipped stitch that you pass over not the yarn over. It is the stitch immediately behind the K1 that you pass over the K1

o

dowlinggram and babka both told you the same thing, but in different words, and I concur. Put the tip of your left needle (assuming you knit right-handed) into the slipped stitch and pass it over the last stitch you knitted and off the needle.

o

Thank you so much everyone. I finally got it and it looks right. After you told me it was the second stich it made sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here