Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purling a yarn over.

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 23:52

I have been away for so long I might as well be a newbie! I have stitches on the needle and in a knit row I do a yarn over. The next row is purl. When I get to the YO do I struggle to pick up the yarn from the front of the left needle, or can I go behind the needle where there is much less tension. When I look at the yarn it seems as if the final result is the same, with the struggle method simply picking up the yarn closer to the left needle. Honestly, I used to make very complicated patterns and do them well. Old age is a dropped stitch!!!!
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purling a yarn over.

I answered this last night, but today I can't find it. So, here goes again. The difference may be subtle, but there will be a slightly different look if you purl the yarnovers in the way you suggest. However, as long as you do all of them the same way, and it looks okay to you, then there is no reason to struggle. Only you can decide what works for you. I think you should try a few rows the way you suggest, so that you can see how it looks after other rows have been knitted. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

o
RE: Purling a yarn over.

Nancy, you might try inserting the needle as if to purl in the back of the stitch, but slide the right hand needle over the top of the left needle into the actual position needed for your stitch. I am seeing the process in my head, but haven't gotten up to try it. It should put you in the right place, as if you had struggled to get your needle in the right place, but without the struggle. I have the same problem when making a stitch by picking up the bar between stitches. The needle just doesn't want to go where I need it to. So, I put the needle where it wants to go, but slide it over the other needle with the yarn over both needles. Am I making sense? It's like putting your index fingers side by side and and sliding them around each other, like twiddling your thumbs, sort of!

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here