Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Sock knitters, metal or bamboo DP's?

socks
16 years ago

What kind of DP needles do you use for socks?

I'm using bamboo, but I knit so tight it's hard on my hands and fingers. I was wondering if metal DP's might work better for me.

Comments (9)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

When I use circulars for socks, either metal or bamboo will do, but when I use dpns I prefer bamboo. When I use metal, the needles are always slipping out of the stitches, which makes me crazy. But if you are a tight knitter, this might not be a problem for you.

• Miss EFF
    16 years ago

I too prefer bamboo or wood. Unless I am using a size 0-2, and then I use metal. I have broke more bamboo needles in a size 1.

Socks are my travel project and I sit on the bag or toss it around. And size one bamboo are not up to that kind of abuse!

Cathy

• socks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm, I might try some metal ones. My next pair of socks will be on a size 1. Would that be aluminum, Clink?

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Socks, I only use Addi Turbo circulars size 2 for my socks now, but I used to use bamboo dbl pts. They do break easily. If you knit tightly, you may not have a problem with the metal needles falling out, but I did, and I did knit tight. Now, it seems I've loosened up. I don't know if you can find size 1 or 2 double points in a regular store. You will probably have to go to a yarn shop or order them online. I know I haven't seen any that small in craft stores around here, or even Jo Ann fabrics.

I was a bamboo addict because they didn't take the heat out of my hands. I find the Addi Turbos don't bother me, either. I have cold hands all the time anyway, with out the metal needles taking what little I have!

Tami

• socks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't ventured into making socks on circulars yet, I'm still very much a beginner and not feeling too adventurous. If I rock the boat by trying anything new at this point, I'll probably fall out of the boat!!

I looked at some nickel plated ones on Knit Picks online, but I'll check some other online sources too.

Thanks everyone.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

I prefer bamboo for the reasons Socks and Donna mention. Metal dps slip out constantly--all the way out too. And my hands get cold using metal needles. I don't know if bamboo break more easily than wood ones. I make my own wood ones, and you can make size 1 using wood skewers, which I have not tried yet, but they are size 1 diameter. I have never tried the more expensive rosewood needles. Are they sturdier than bamboo in size 1?????

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

If you prefer DPNs, try the Knitpicks metal DPNs. I've found their metal circulars to be less slippery than the Addi Turbos. And the price is right. I use the Magic Loop method with a 40 inch circular and right now my favorite needles for this are the Knitpicks Classic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitpicks DPNs

• VickyJ
    16 years ago

I use bamboo size 2. I'm new to knitting socks, so I may have to try some of these others.

• Zipper_TX
    16 years ago

Hello I'm Zipper and I'm afraid I'm a needle addict lol, I have all of them the bamboo I use on slippery sock yarn, the metal dpns are for when the bamboo are engaged and my Addi turbo 40" circular is my preferred modus operandi at the moment lol =0) I have managed to make three pair of socks at the same time using the magic loop method --- Thank you Tami! =0)--- so I'm pretty sure this is what I like best. Not much help am I lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: you tube magic loop video just in case =0)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions