Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very easy question: YO

Posted by susan_on (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 22:06

How do you YO (yarn over) properly? The instructions in the book I have aren't clear to me. I appreciate any help with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very easy question: YO

3-3-07
YO (Yarn over) YON (yarn over needle) SAME THING.
On Knit row, take yarn under needle to front side and now
throw over the top of the right needle and knit next stitch
or whatever. This will create a small hole for lace effect
and usually there is a decrease in same row so stitch count
remains the same. On next row knit or purl the yarn over
as a regular stitch.
Hope this helps and good luck.

o

You are basically making a new stitch, and with a hole in the pattern. If you are purling prior to the stitch, just pull the yarn over the right hand needle and then do the next stitch, whether it is knit or purl. If it is a purl, you will end up going all the way around the needle. And if you are knitting, you just pull the yarn from the back to the front over the right hand needle and then do a k or p, whatever the directions say.

o

So you can bring the yarn to the front over or under the right hand needle?
By the way, I love this forum. I really appreciate it as a resource.

o

The yarn MUST go over the needle at one point. If you are knitting before the YO and will make a knit stitch after it, then pull the yarn forward between the needles before making the stitch, then pull the yarn from in front of the right needle over the needle and to the back of your work so you can knit.

o

Thank you Sheilajoyce. That helps a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here