Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Gives? Crochet hook sizes?

Posted by babka (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 21:58

Looking through my Patternworks catalog where they are selling different mfgrs. of crochet hooks, they give different mm sizes for G hooks, as well as others.

When a project calls for a G hook, I have simply grabbed my G and figured I was home free. Sometimes it would not meet gauge and other times it did. (I've been crocheting for 30 years and I figured it was just me.)

According to their chart, a G hook can be 4.00mm, 4.25mm, or 4.50mm. Is that a surprise to anyone else but me?

My Susan Bates little metal sizer thingy has a hole for a G hook at 4.25. My Boyle G hook fits into the 4.50 hole which is oddly called a #7, which doesn't go along with the alphabet.

Wait, there's more:

I have a #7 steel crochet hook that is super tiny, and is smaller than my #4 steel hook, which is smaller than my #1 steel. These go way back and one even says 15 Cents on it. It looks like the steel hooks count backwards.

I guess the best way is to just go with milimeters, except for the steels?

More wine.

Thanks in advance for any clarification from those who are much wiser, size-wise.

-Babka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Gives? Crochet hook sizes?

The only info that I can give you is on the small hook, which is a group of steel hooks, used for thread work, whereas the aluminum hooks are for yarn.
The steel hooks go from 14, which is very tiny to size 00, which I have in my groups of hooks, and that is many. Collector here.
The aluminum hooks go from A, I believe, to N, or perhaps larger by this time. I am not a yarn fan, but have many of those hooks as well, not all the particular sizes. Don't know much about the milimeter sizes, I don't do a lot of work with items that require gauge, so that isn't an issue for me.
This probably hasn't helped, and there will and should be other answers coming in from cyberspace, but you do have a handle on the idea that different hooks are for different species of thread/yarn.

o
RE: What Gives? Crochet hook sizes?

I remember reading one little sentence in a pattern I have that mentioned the resizing of crochet hooks, and G changed to a larger size. I have two different Gs now, one over 30 years old, and one more recently bought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here