Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

I did it! It's finally done after 2 or 3 years.

sheilajoyce_gw
17 years ago

I finally finished crocheting my banquet cloth this week. I put off cutting the thread until DH and I could put all the leaves in the dining room table and I could be sure it is long enough. It is long enough to allow for some shrinkage so that I can throw it in the dryer too. It is too long for blocking. Since I have thrown crochet thread table topper cloths into the washer and dryer with great luck, I think this one will do well too.

It is an oval cloth in filet crochet with lots of repeats down the middle of hearts, and it has hearts and stylized flowers along the edges. I would have picked a different pattern actually, but this was the only one I found that had a center section that could be repeated so that I could make the full length banquet cloth for a table that seats 12. I discovered that oval cloths usually do not have a section that can be reapeated--every row is different to allow for the oval shape.

With DDs engagement a few years ago, I started the cloth knowing that holiday meals would have more people now that the kids are marrying age. Since I started it, the wedding has occurred and our grandson was born on Christmas Day. When we were all together at Thanksgiving with DDs last trip before the birth, DS brought down his girlfriend, so I knew we would be needing the cloth this coming 2007 holiday season--if I ever finished it!

If DD brings her camera with her in April, I will ask her to take a picture and post it. I am glad I finally made something for myself. I used size 10 white crochet cotton.

Now I am wondering if I might want to buy some plain, inexpensive white napkins and trim them in filet crochet too. That is something I can decide later, but it will have to be a pattern I make up to coordinate with the cloth as there's no napkin pattern to match the cloth.

Comments (6)

• Zipper_TX
    17 years ago

Congratulations!! I think I can almost see you beaming ;0). What a huge accomplishment Sheilajoyce a tablecloth of that size would have taken me a lot longer..probably I would have put it down and never picked it up again lol. Congrats on the new grand-baby too ;0)

p.s.
    I hope your DD post a picture of it soon too, I would love to see it.

• Dash2
    17 years ago

I give you credit for sticking to it. I wouldn't have the patience to stay with a project that long.

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Sheila Joyce, I can't wait to see the pictures. Don't take a chance that your daughter might not bring her camera, ASK her to bring it. You can't tease us like this and not show us! That is quite an accomplishment and you really should be proud.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can ask, Donna, but that does not mean she will remember to bring it. This is the first trip with the baby, and as she will probably be coming alone, she will be taxed to just get the two of them here! But I will remind her.

I washed the cloth, and it did shrink a little. But it was just a little too long, so that is just fine. It is a little narrow with the shrinkage, but it stretches out enough if I pull it a little. All and all, considering this pattern was not my first choice, I am happy with it. My china is a quite old Haviland Limoges set with sprays of pink and chartruse flowers on a white background, so the hearts and flowers will match in tone quite nicely.

• anne_b
    17 years ago

It sounds absolutely gorgeous! If the camera is forgotten, ask a local friend/neighbor/passing stranger to take the pix - we MUST see this one!

Of course, this creates a new problem. The cloth will obviously become an instant family heirloom and will be fought over when time comes. You will have to make another one .. . (Speaking from experience: two daughters and one embroidered Hardanger cloth!)

Anne B

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

Congratulations! and what a treasure!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have a filet crochet bedspread my grandmother made and I marvel at it every time I think about all the work that went into it. You should be really proud!! Like the others, I'd love to see a photo.

Don't feel bad about taking a few years to complete it. I worked on a crewel embroidery bell pull for my mother -- maybe 8" by 4' -- and it took me 12 years! :)

Enjoy your beautiful work!