Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leis from Hawaii, crocheted!

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 21:34

A friend in Hawaii crocheted these leis for my husband and me at Christmas. It's hard to see, but each has two nuts and bows at the closing end. They are just georgeous, and I cannot decide which I like best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leis from Hawaii, crocheted!

Those are lovely! Did she come up with the idea on her own, or did she have a pattern. Nice colors, too.

o

VERY PRETTY!

o

What a nice gift! And beautiful.

o

I think she designs them herself. She e-mailed me that she was thinking of making a new style for 2007.

o

Here is a pattern from Royal Carribean hope it might help soMaking a Hawaiian Lei
Give your summer parties an exotic feel by making your own Hawaiian Lei and offering your guests Mai Tai cocktails. Just follow our easy step by step instructions.

What youll need to make an Hawaiian Lei
Number 10 crochet thread (doubled), or waxed dental floss
Special lei needle, or large sewing needle with medium-sized eye
Approximately 80 dendrobium orchid blossoms (or flower of your choice)
Water mister
Tape measure
Felt-tip pen

Step 1: Cut a length of thread (doubled) or dental floss (not doubled) 50 inches long and thread your needle.
Step 2: Mark each end 5 inches from the end with the felt-tip pen. (It's helpful to place a clip of some sort at one end.)
Step 3: Pluck the stem from each blossom, one at a time or pluck them all before you start.(If you're making a lot of leis, have one person string and one pluck.)
Step 4: Sliding the needle on the 'lip' of the flower, pierce the flower about a 3/8-inch below the stub of the stem.
Step 5: Continue adding flowers on the needle, gently nesting the end of each flower into the 'mouth' of the next. (The line of pierced blossoms should look like a stack of nested hats).
Then grasping every 4-5 blossoms gently in the palm of your hand move them down to the end of the thread. (You?ll need to string about 80 blossoms for a 40 inch lei).
Step 6: Finish the lei by nesting the first and last flowers and tying a square knot. Leave a 'tail' to carry the lei with until you are ready to present it.
Step 7: Finally, lightly mist each lei as you complete it and store in the refrigerator in loose moistened plastic bags until ready for use.
Helpful Hints: Orchids are a lot like lettuce, they don't like to be too cold and they will turn clear if they directly touch the sides of a cold refrigerator. It may help to turn your refrigerator down a little. The leis will last up to five days in the refrigerator, misting as needed - however, they are still best used no later than the next day.

o

I just did a google on crocheted leis and there are a number of sites - some even have instructions. Seems there are even books on the "how to" by a couple of authors. You might want to try it yourself. Budster

o

Those sure are pretty Socks Thanks for sharing

o

I think it is a wonderfull gift.so pretty and lovely.Thanks for sharing.
==================================================
jamespeter
Hawaii Alcohol Addiction Treatment

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here