Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Leis from Hawaii, crocheted!

socks
17 years ago

A friend in Hawaii crocheted these leis for my husband and me at Christmas. It's hard to see, but each has two nuts and bows at the closing end. They are just georgeous, and I cannot decide which I like best.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1575861}}

Comments (8)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Those are lovely! Did she come up with the idea on her own, or did she have a pattern. Nice colors, too.

• cherbo
    17 years ago

VERY PRETTY!

• tami_ohio
    17 years ago

What a nice gift! And beautiful.

• socks
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think she designs them herself. She e-mailed me that she was thinking of making a new style for 2007.

• shaddy101
    17 years ago

Here is a pattern from Royal Carribean hope it might help soMaking a Hawaiian Lei
    Give your summer parties an exotic feel by making your own Hawaiian Lei and offering your guests Mai Tai cocktails. Just follow our easy step by step instructions.

What youÂll need to make an Hawaiian Lei
    Number 10 crochet thread (doubled), or waxed dental floss
    Special lei needle, or large sewing needle with medium-sized eye
    Approximately 80 dendrobium orchid blossoms (or flower of your choice)
    Water mister
    Tape measure
    Felt-tip pen

Step 1: Cut a length of thread (doubled) or dental floss (not doubled) 50 inches long and thread your needle.
    Step 2: Mark each end 5 inches from the end with the felt-tip pen. (It's helpful to place a clip of some sort at one end.)
    Step 3: Pluck the stem from each blossom, one at a time or pluck them all before you start.(If you're making a lot of leis, have one person string and one pluck.)
    Step 4: Sliding the needle on the 'lip' of the flower, pierce the flower about a 3/8-inch below the stub of the stem.
    Step 5: Continue adding flowers on the needle, gently nesting the end of each flower into the 'mouth' of the next. (The line of pierced blossoms should look like a stack of nested hats).
    Then grasping every 4-5 blossoms gently in the palm of your hand move them down to the end of the thread. (You?ll need to string about 80 blossoms for a 40 inch lei).
    Step 6: Finish the lei by nesting the first and last flowers and tying a square knot. Leave a 'tail' to carry the lei with until you are ready to present it.
    Step 7: Finally, lightly mist each lei as you complete it and store in the refrigerator in loose moistened plastic bags until ready for use.
    Helpful Hints: Orchids are a lot like lettuce, they don't like to be too cold and they will turn clear if they directly touch the sides of a cold refrigerator. It may help to turn your refrigerator down a little. The leis will last up to five days in the refrigerator, misting as needed - however, they are still best used no later than the next day.

• budster
    17 years ago

I just did a google on crocheted leis and there are a number of sites - some even have instructions. Seems there are even books on the "how to" by a couple of authors. You might want to try it yourself. Budster

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

Those sure are pretty Socks Thanks for sharing

• jamespeter
    15 years ago

I think it is a wonderfull gift.so pretty and lovely.Thanks for sharing.
    ==================================================
    jamespeter
    Hawaii Alcohol Addiction Treatment

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator
More Discussions