Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scarf length for children?

Posted by babka (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 20:11

I'm crocheting scarves as a surprise for a couple little girls ages 7 and 10. Any idea how long they should be? When I make them for adults they are about 65" long, enough to wrap and tie a couple different ways. Any recommendations on length?

-Babka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scarf length for children?

I make scarves for my 8 yr old and I keep them around 48".

Rebecca

o

Thank you, Rebecca, for that quick answer. I'll go for 48". I'm making a crocodile stitch that looks like dragon scales/or petals depending on your point of view.
-Babka
Photobucket

o

I've never seen that stitch,it's really pretty.

o

The 10 year old will want to wind that scarf as the big girls do....I think 48 inches is way too short....

o

: ) my general rule of thumb for long scarves is as tall as the person I'm making them for, maybe an extra 6" if it's a 'necklace' style scarf.

the exception to this is one of my art teachers, who's about 4'10", but likes scarves that fall to her knees : D

o

Lindac-
Thank you so much for your comments. I wanted this to be surprise even to their Mom, but when you reminded me that little girls really want to be like big girls it all clicked in...of course they do! So I asked their Mom who says that the 7 year old has a 60" scarf that she loves.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here