Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sock question

Posted by susan_on (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 07 at 19:14

"knit in heel pattern until you have 34 heel flap rows"

In this pattern I knit one row and then purl the other row. Is each row, whether knit or purl, a heel flap row?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sock question

Yes

o

Thank you Sheilajoyce. I'm sure it seemed like a dumb question, but I wanted to be sure.

o

Have you read all the way through the pattern? Usually the heel flap is done on half the stitches. The other half are placed on a holder at that point.

I do my flap by doing a slip 1, knit 1 on the RS row and slip 1 purl 1 on the WS row.

It tightens things up a bit and shapes around the angle. Otherwise, you have more of a tube shape to the sock.

o

Thanks Yarnlover. I'll let you know how it turns out.

o

I also wondered about a heel flap that's knitted in plain stockinette stitch. Usually, they're knitted in a pattern that gives more shaping and reinforcement to the heel area, such as the one yarnlover describes, or the one described in the Christmas stocking thread below.

o

I knitted this in stockinette stitch because that's what the pattern said, but next time I will do it as yarnlover describes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here