Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (10)

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

Sandra!! What a gold mine of yarns. have you ordered from them before? I couldn't find out when the sale ends. A minimum order of $50 isn't really bad when you think of the value you get.
    The cheapest I can find Red Heart is 2.28 for the basic yarns.

thanks for posting this
    I'd like to try some of the matallics they show

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I've ordered from them and they are quick to ship and easy to deal with....I've always been pleased with my purchases, too. Most are name brands, so you know what you're getting up front, and the unknowns I've gotten were top notch. I wouldn't hesitate in ordering from them.

• missemerald
    15 years ago

Oh, THANK YOU! My daughter has been wanting a new poncho for awhile now, and of course the yarn is never on sale!

• profsusan
    15 years ago

I live in the Hudson Valley and go to the Smiley's annual NYC hotel sale the first week in December and always come home with more than I need. Suggestion - even though most of the yarn is the same, the amount in the skein is not necessarily what you see in the store so double check before you order. Would hate to have you order unless you get enough for your projects.

For example - this is not just for Smiley's but recently I have been using Caron Simply Soft for a number of projects - when I buy it in Michaels it is usually a 7oz skein, in AC Moore 6 oz and the heathers all vary - grey heather in Michaels was 6 oz but charcoal heather was 5 oz in AC Moore.

At the hotel sale, certain yarn comes in packages and you must take it all - two years ago I bought the Moda Dea Dream for $10 for 10, the Red Heart Symphony (makes a great scarf) for $4 for 3 and of course for all those baby projects Cervinia Genova and Cervinia Amalfi came in packages of 10. I have too much of a stash so this year I only bought Red Heart TLC Wiggles and Redheart Bright & Lofty, both came in packages of 3 skeins. I am now dabbling with socks so next December I'll look for sock yarn. I used sock yarn this year for a number of fingerless gloves as Christmas gifts but that wasn't in the plan when I went to the sale - used my coupons in Michaels and AC Moore for 40-50% .

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

Those prices are great, but I wish they didn't have the 50$ min. I haven't felt a lot of the listed yarns, so I am scared to buy a bunch online.

But wow--12$ worth of yarn for a sweater is sooooo tempting!

:-)

francy

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sure the minimum is to protect them from someone who wants to buy only 5 balls of $1.00 yarn....that wouldn't even pay for the handling, or salary of who processes the order. They have to make a certain amt/order before it's worth their while. When you're buying yarn, $50.00 doesn't get you much at the local yarn shop...I just bought enough alpaca + a pattern for a shawl our daughter picked out.... the price was $67.00, so considering what all you can get for $50.00 at Smiley's, it's a really good deal. I really don't think they handle anything but quality stuff. Profsusan, as you have visited in person, do you think that Smiley's handles quality yarns? I've always been pleased, but have never had the advantage of seeing EVERYTHING... (it's probably be TOO much for me anyway.) lol

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

As I tell my kids it is a lot cheaper than sitting on a bar stool. (kind of a joke)

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I think it would be tough to knit, sitting on a bar stool...nowhere for your elbows to rest!!! lol Our usual family joke is that 'it keeps me off the streets', so your family joke is a tad more respectable than ours! Both are fun!

• profsusan
    15 years ago

Their yarn is great - no crap. Most of what they have you can see in any yarn store - perhaps a specialty shop instead of only AC Moore, Michaels, or JoAnn. I have never been disappointed. Of course I don't like all of it - just not my taste or talent - and some of the yarn is out of my price range at the hotel sales too. They sell the discounted yarn and the very expensive wool, cashmere, etc. I generally leave with a large plastic garbage bag of yarn and since I have no more room in the closet I use, I am now not buying anything unless it is to finish a project (or I guess a special request). Target is to start just using what I have and not be tempted by any great sales.

• junef
    15 years ago

I have gone to Smileys and the yarn is excellent, the prices vary for the type of yarn. They have from acrylic to cashmere, and also cotton. I think their prices are for everyone's pocket (in other words it's what you are looking for). I have never gone to the NYC sale since I think you get more in the store.

I have ordered on line and was very happy w/purchases.

I think they have the best prices in the country. (not because their ad says so) but I believe it to be true. My $$ go a long way.

Don't worry if you see something you like but not sure of the feel check it in your local yarn store then get it on line.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm
More Discussions