Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

Complaints of a grump old fart.

mudlady_gw
17 years ago

I was a college freshman in '62 when I learned how to knit. On of the girls on my dorm floor taught me. Her mother owned a yarn store and she had all the latest and best patterns and equipment and I learned from her to expect the best. At that time there were multiple pattern catalogs from Botony, Bear Brand and Fleisher and the instructions were for one of their many different yarns. I used Boye needles and soon decided that their split, flexible needles, like two halves of a circular needle with a stop at the end of the flexible part, were much more comfortable than hitting my elbows on the ends of traditional straight needles. It was never difficult to find a yarn store that carried tons of beautiful yarn and equipment. The better department stores also had nice knitting departments. Today I can't find a store anything like those of the 60s. Knitting stuff is in a section of the big box craft stores and department stores no longer have yarn departments. When I find patterns they are usually meant for teens or movie stars, and rarely have anything I want to wear. Does anyone know of a REAL yarn store in the Syracuse or Rochester areas of NY?

Thanks,

Nancy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions