Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Complaints of a grump old fart.

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 07 at 18:11

I was a college freshman in '62 when I learned how to knit. On of the girls on my dorm floor taught me. Her mother owned a yarn store and she had all the latest and best patterns and equipment and I learned from her to expect the best. At that time there were multiple pattern catalogs from Botony, Bear Brand and Fleisher and the instructions were for one of their many different yarns. I used Boye needles and soon decided that their split, flexible needles, like two halves of a circular needle with a stop at the end of the flexible part, were much more comfortable than hitting my elbows on the ends of traditional straight needles. It was never difficult to find a yarn store that carried tons of beautiful yarn and equipment. The better department stores also had nice knitting departments. Today I can't find a store anything like those of the 60s. Knitting stuff is in a section of the big box craft stores and department stores no longer have yarn departments. When I find patterns they are usually meant for teens or movie stars, and rarely have anything I want to wear. Does anyone know of a REAL yarn store in the Syracuse or Rochester areas of NY?
Thanks,
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Complaints of a grump old fart.

here's a few...

http://www.spiritworkknit.com/servlet/the-template/locator/Page

Village Yarn Shop
585-454-6064
Hours: Mon-Fri 9:30-6, Sat 10-4
200 Midtown Plaza
Rochester, NY 14604

Wild Wools:
Better Yarn, Better World
585-271-0960
732 South Avenue
Rochester, NY 14620
wildwoolsrochester@yahoo.com

Yarne Source, The
585-334-5350
Hours: Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat 11-5:30,
Thurs 2-7
2086 East Henrietta Road
Rochester, NY 14623

Miki Mand * Fibres
585-244-3827
Hours: By Appointment
761 Goodman Street South
Rochester, NY 14620

Knitting Connection, The
315-445-2911
Chimney's Plaza, Bridge Street
East Syracuse, NY 13057

Knit 'n Purl
585-248-8339
Hours: Mon-Fri 10-5, Sat 10-4,
other times by appointment
1855 Monroe Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618
betty@knitnpurl.com

o

I remember the wonderful yarn stores of the 60's, too. Fortunately today there are many good ones again, but even with yarn stores, I'm having trouble finding patterns. I've used the web and this forum a lot for ideas -- tons of free patterns on the internet but sometimes you really have to dig. Here's a link that might help. In my searches from time to time some "vintage" patterns show up and some of them are great, although I have a hard time thinking of things from the 50's and 60's as vintage. :)

Good luck, and happy knitting!

Here is a link that might be useful: knitting pattern central

o

Thanks for the leads. I will get driving directions to all and then plan a nice day trip to Rochester, as soon as this dang white stuff ceases and desists! I have placed the Knitting Pattern Central in my Favorites.
Nancy

o

You are not a "grumpy old fart"! I have the same memories as you along with the sadness and anger that so many good/quality things in our lives have been lost.
Phyllis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here