Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with instruction interpretation?

Posted by carol_ann (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 17:44

can you tell me what this means?

"Gauge:
5 stitches and 7 rows on size one needles in k1p1 rib when knit in the round. Make sure to check your
gauge so your gloves will fit!"

It's for a pair of fingerless mittens.

I do know what it is to check your gauge but I'm missing an important piece of information: 5 st and 7 rows in how many inches?? Is there an assumed number of inches if it isn't specified?

Also, this calls for size 1 needles... I think that might be English or European needles? Are they different? and if so, what's the equivalent in US or mm?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with instruction interpretation?

Yep. A key element is missing. 5 stitches and 7 rows should equal...........

It doesn't say whether it should equal 1 inch or 4 inches, or whatever their gauge is.

o

What kind of yarn are you supposed to use? That would help both to figure out if the needle size is standard US or something else, and also whether the guage is based on one inch or four inches. A #1 needle could be very small or very large depending on what sizing system is meant. Are the mitts supposed to come out thin or very bulky?

Another clue would be how many stitches there are in total going around the mitt.

o

OK -- here's the entire pattern -- see link... I'm sure it'll mean more to experienced knitters than it does to me in terms of trying to figure out what the gauge should be. The mitts are fairly thin so I guess the needle is supposed to be the very small one. Thanks for any guidance -- this will be my first non-flat project! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: fingerless mittens

o

There is a link to contact the designer who appears to have an online yarn store. The pattern says sock yarn on size 1 needles so a gauge of 5 st per inch seems a little too loose. Gauge is usually given over 4 inches but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

o

The guage is obviously 5 st/in and 7 rows/in. I agree that knitting a sock yarn with a size 1 needle in ribbing should give you more stitches than 5/in. I think most people would need to use a larger needle to get that guage or use a thicker yarn, such as a sport weight.

Good luck with the project. The mitts look cute.

o

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I may be biting off more than I can chew at this point but I'm motivated and generally a quick learning so I'm optimistic :) Thanks again for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here