Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'eye of partridge' heel question

Posted by love2knit (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 17:36

This is my third pair of socks, first time using "eye of partridge" heel flap. That went fine, I turned the heel, and now picking up stitches for the gusset, on one side there just aren't enough stitches to pick up! The other side is fine - the right number of stitches can easily be picked up.

What went wrong? This didn't happen before. Please don't tell me I have to rip it out? (sobs)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'eye of partridge' heel question

Well, how many stitches are you off? If it's only 1 or 2, I say don't sweat it and just pick up a couple extra or knit 2 together a couple of times on the other side.

o

Nope, there are about half as many slipped stitches on one side.

I think what happened is that with the eye of partridge stitch pattern I was using, every other knit row ends with a slipped stitch, and since all rows start with a slipped stitch, that side has a longer stitch. Does that make sense? I wish I could take a picture.

o

I understand what you are saying, and maybe there is more than one way to make an eye of partridge heel, but a quick search brought up this "pattern" for the heel and it doesn't have any rows that end with a slipped stitch. All rows do start with a slipped stitch, though, and that should keep the number of stitches on each side consistent. If I were you, I would tink or rip back and begin the heel again.

Here is a link that might be useful: eye of partridge heel

o

Thanks for the site, Donna....I LOVE the way those heel flaps look. I'm sure goinna use this on my next pair of socks.

o

You know the saying, "when all else fails, read the directions?" Well, I RE-read the directions and what I had missed the first time was that row 3 ends with K2!!!!! So my socks are ripped back to the beginning of the heel flaps and I'll start again, sadder but wiser.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here