Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Switch a man's pattern for a woman.

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 07 at 16:34

Some patterns are offered for the family and they include directions for children through adults. Many female sweaters are not large enough for me. If I used a loose fitting male pattern I would have to adjust sleeve and body length, but the chest and belly would be OK. Will this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Switch a man's pattern for a woman.

Yes, but remember that men's cardigans have the buttons on the opposite side as does a woman's sweater. Men's clothing has the buttons on the right, and women's clothing has the buttons on the wearer's left.

o

You can also add short rows for a 'bosom', for that 'fitted' look.

o

If there is a men's pattern that you like, what you have suggested would absolutely work. If you are looking for larger size women's patterns, there are more and more resources.

See if your library has a copy of Big Girl Knits by Jillian Moreno & Amy Singer - it has quite a few pretty patterns and instructions on tweaking patterns to play up your good bits and down play the not so good bits.

Amy Singer is also the editor of knitty.com - a free online knitting magazine, so quite a few of their patterns come in a wider range of sizes than what you might find in other magazines.

I know there are also a bunch of "pattern generator" websites about where you enter your desired measurements, and the gauge for your stitch pattern and it will spit out instructions. I'm a new enough knitter that I still need my patterns road tested, so I haven't tried that particular option.

Sorry for the ramble, but if you are going to spend the time on a handknit item, I hope you aren't just "settling" for a pattern but really like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

o

I am too fat for a fitted look anywhere on my anatomy :-)

I have a huge desire to make a sweater in Rowan's Cashsoft in a gorgeous shade of blue. This yarn sells for around $8 a ball and I would need about 18 balls for a fairly simple pattern. I want stoc. st. mostly, but do want something , maybe a few cables, to make the sweater dressy. Using an expensive yarn makes it crucial that I like the pattern.

I have looked online for a better Cashsoft price, but the cost of shipping is rediculous for such a light weight package and the end price is the same or greater.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here