Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need cardigan pattern for DK weight alpaca wool

Posted by midwestmiddleage (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 08 at 16:04

Well, I did it. I bought some wool in Seattle made on one of the islands there without a pattern! This wool is in 215/yds per 100 gram or 3.5 oz skeins. It says DK weight 5.5 st per inch. I purchased 3 coordinating colors mossy green, tan and a creamy white. I would like to knit them all into a cardigan sweater for myself. I am an advanced knitter and have done fairisle knitting in the past. I did find a couple of patterns on Angelicas website and kind of liked the celtic pattern she has posted there. I was thinking of doing the different areas of stitching in the different colors but don't know if this weight yarn would work with that type of pattern. Any ideas, thoughts? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need cardigan pattern for DK weight alpaca wool

You have to match the sts/inch of the yarn with the required sts/inch of the pattern or the size of the garment will be wrong. If your DK yarn is 5.5 sts/inch on probably a size 5 to 7 needle then your pattern has to be sized for approx. 5-6 sts/inch. You can fiddle around a little with needle sizes to get the correct sts/inch for your yarn to match a pattern, but not too much. If your sweater pattern is for a bulky yarn like 3 sts/inch on a size 10 needle, there is no way you are going to be able to make that sweater with your DK yarn. Always check the sts/inch that a pattern requires or your sizing is going to be wrong.

Ex:- a sweater pattern, meant for bulky yarn, that says 3 sts/inch and you cast on 60 sts is going to be 20" wide. If you use dk yarn that is 6 sts/inch with that same pattern your sweater is going to be 10" wide!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here