Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommytomany

Requesting help with a Sesame Street Pattern

mommytomany
16 years ago

Okay, I'm calling all resources.

I was about 3 years old when my mother purchased a hand crocheted sweater from a woman in our neighborhood who made them. This was in the very early 80's.

The sweater was navy blue in color had 2 to 3 white stripes across the front and big bird on the back. Big Bird may or may not have had a 3D beak. My memory tells me it was 3D. I'm fairly certain it was bulky weight yarn.

Would anyone happen to have a clue about the pattern I'm talking about?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• Dash2
    16 years ago

Sounds like the type of thing that was a Mary Maxim graphed pattern. What I'd suggest is that you find a pattern you are comfortable with.

You can knit it in any color or your choice. Place stripes anywhere you want. Go to google and click on Images.

Find a picture of Big Bird that you want to use. You'll have to save the picture to your hard drive by right clicking on the picture and clicking on Save As.

Then follow the link and turn the picture into a working graph.

Here is a link that might be useful: Graph Maker

• mommytomany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think you're right yarnlover. I'm going to have to do the best I can. I've never "developed" a pattern before, I've always worked from one generated by someone else. I'm quite up for the challenge though. This sweater is an ongoing joke between my mom and I and she would be delighted to see it again. Thanks for the great link to the graph maker.

• profsusan
    16 years ago

here's a link to a Big Bird graph 32x32 but it is not 3D but I've used them to make an afghan or pillow and they work fine. I have also used the Graph Maker to create the pattern for a Tigger blanket - as you can see it worked

Here is a link that might be useful: Shona's Place

• mommytomany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a gorgeous Tigger blanket! Wish me luck on my "creation" I'll post a picture when it's complete!

Thanks for the help :)

• soyamiso
    16 years ago

Profsusan, could you please post a picture of the back side of your tigger blanket? I'd like to know what to expect before I begin my first picture pattern crochet. No book or magazine has ever shown the wrong side of a crochet project.

Mommytomany, when you finish with your project, I'd love to see the front and back sides, too.

Many thanks.

• mommytomany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I too would love to see the back side of your blanket ProfSusan.

I hope to be starting my sweater by the end of the month. I haven't had any luck finding a pattern that has a 3D beak so I guess I'll have to improvise.

• profsusan
    16 years ago

sorry...gave the blanket as a gift and don't have access to the back. The only reason I even have pictures of things I make is that my daughter is on the west coast and wants to see what I do. I only have one project in the works that is a graphic but it is only two colors so would not give you want you are looking for. I'll take a picture of the back over the weekend and post it anyway. However, I have never had any complaints about what the back looks like - I weave in the loose ends as I crochet so there are no knots.

• profsusan
    16 years ago

started a new sweater with the Elmo graph so here it is the first is the right side, the second is the wrong side

• soyamiso
    16 years ago

That's darn cute!

Thank you.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets
More Discussions