Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Woo Hoo, inherited a friend's stash

sheilajoyce_gw
17 years ago

Well, for a year a friend on a countywide organization's board with me has said she has a stash of yarn she wants to bring to me, but we both keep forgetting to coordinate. Last night she brought me a tub of lovely yarns, usually one ball or skein only but sometimes a couple of them. They are often without labels, so I have to assume they are wool when I think of how to care for the made item. Some have 2 or 3 skeins in the same color. Some are one skein of a few different colors of the same yarn and others are just one skein. They are mostly the unique type yarns. Some still have labels with the price, and wow, I would not spend that on yarn myself. Sooooo this is a treasure of a stash that I don't know how to use up right now. Lots of greens and natural ecrus and browns, but some with metallic threads or sequins too. I will have to see what I can turn into baby items. But the rest---MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Comments (8)

• shwetagarg
    17 years ago

Lucky you

• budster
    17 years ago

I have a girlfriend like that who is always passing on a ball or a bit of yarn leftover from another project. Some prices make you shudder, but she knows I will use it on some project or other...we truly are lucky. Budster

• ironkit
    17 years ago

YAY! Inheriting stashes is fun.

~ Kit

• OklaMoni
    16 years ago

Scarfes, they are all the rage right now after all. You can mkae some plain ones, with a really fancy end at each end.. or some striped ones???

Moni

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Moni, I live in southern California, and so does my younger sister. We would die of heat prostration! My older sister lives in hot Texas. My youngest son lives in NYC, but I have made him too many scarves. In fact, now he is learning to knit and his group of friends go to knitting coffee shops. My DD is moving back to southern California this month, and I have made her a good 30 or more scarves already. Sooooo, I am stumped. Maybe I will come up with something. They are lovely balls of yarn!!

• profsusan
    16 years ago

I made a few bags last year - the first two in the yarn called for - Woolease Chunky - and then the next few using two strands of whatever I had around the house. Of course, I made a few based on special requests colors but everyone loves this bag. Great for small projects, taking lunch to work, etc. Yes, I know this is a winter bag but just think of getting ahead on Christmas gifts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Marlo's Crochet

• Janey - formerly jane2
    16 years ago

What about knitting some slippers?
    (Or crochet them.)

• TommeCA
    16 years ago

Congratulations! I had a similar experience a year or so ago - I was taking a Saturday morning walk in my neighborhood and came across a neighbor having a yardsale. She had yarn, so I started going through to see what she had that I could put to good use. She had bought a lot of single skeins of a particular yarn in almost every color, so although there was a lot of yarn, there wasn't a lot in a color. I ended up purchasing 60+ skeins for less than $40.

When I brought it home, I stored the yarns in similar colorways and realized that this would be how I could use them. All of the yarns were 100% wool suitable for felting. I have simply stranded colors together when I knit and then when the piece is felted, it's a very lovely "wash" of color. You could also purchase enough yarn of the same color to run along with your "found" yarn, since felting usually needs two yarns worked together  and would give you less variegation in your finished fabric.

I recently "lost" several bags to my mother - she came out for a visit and spied a couple of colorways and took them home with her. While she was visiting, she made a lovely felted bag (I wish I had taken a photo). She embellished the outside with buttons from my button stash, and then lined it with some lovely fabric we found at the quilting store, and even added a little zipper pocket. Because the yarn, zipper, and buttons came from my stash, only cost was for the fabric lining.

I think I mostly see felted bags, but there's some darling patterns for felted caps or cloches, slippers, coffee cup cuffs - lots of little things that can use up the bits and pieces of yarn that you have.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer
More Discussions