Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
never understand

Posted by grammad (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 07 at 13:18

i have been knitting for years and always come to this problem when reading the patterns. when it says "continue pattern for so many inches and end with a knit row (or perl row). are they telling me to end it after knitting this row or end with the next row being a knit row. (or perl) whatever the pattern says.I get confused evrytime. i like the patterns that say "end by doing a knit (perl) row.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: never understand

Your question reminds me of one I tormented a cooking forum with: Is a quarter cup of melted butter measured when it is solid or liquid. I would accept it written as "melted butter, a quarter cup" or "a quarter cup of butter, melted. My personality, an ISTJ on the Myers-Briggs scale, makes me ponder all sentences like this.

When I am following knitting directions, the next set of instructions usually provides a clue because it will state that you either knit or purl the NEXT row, which I interpret as the first row after the continue directions.

o

I take "end with a knit row", to knit the LAST row.

Moni

o

They are telling you that your last row should be the named row--end with a knit row means that the knit row is your last row.

o

yeah thats how i understand it . i would also end the with the knit row .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here