Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old, old wool afghan

Posted by petalpatsy (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 12:47

I accepted the offer of an old, old, wool afghan over my legs on Friday evening. I set it aside because it seemed scratchy (through blue jeans.) I was back up a 4am to shower, and had another bath on Saturday. Here on Sunday morning, I still feel like it was laced with itch powder.

It seems reasonable to think old wool fibers would get dry and brittle and become a pretty effective itch 'powder.' Am I right?

This man is divorced, and moved back 'to town' for his son's social life three weeks ago(read: to better keep close tabs on a 16yr old whom he thinks is going wild.) The house was his grandmother's and has been empty for a couple of years--huge old place, lovely grounds, filled with antiques, but drafty as h***. He's tall. He's handsome. He's polite--door opening, chair pulling, calls me in twenty minutes to be sure I get home safe and say goodnight, all as a casual matter of course (I try to act like I'm not a total stranger to such tender care but it's a stretch.) He feeds me. He's willing to watch chick flicks for company--after the news is over :)--he had another movie he wants me watch 'next time.'

I'm in a pickle. It will be easy enough to says the afghan is delicate, ask for something else, or heck, just wait for spring. It will be more difficult to take my Kirby over there and vacuum the chair, while relegating the afghan to the parlor where it can decorate an antique that nobody is expected to sit in.

Are there any similarly well-bred fiber artists out there who can advise me both on the afghan, and how Emily Post would handle this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old, old wool afghan

If it has no critters in it and this is an allergic reaction, I suggest you take some kind of antihistimine or Benedryl. If it is critters, beware bringing them home with you.

o

Just tell him you think you are allergic to wool, it makes you itch. Why beat around the bush about something like this? He would not want you to be uncomfortable or medicate just to use the blanket.

o

Wear warmer clothes when you go to visit him and be honest about why you won't use the afghan...or bring your own.

o

Maybe you are allergic to wool, and more severe than some other folks, so just be honest w/him. Remember that you should never start a friendship/relationship on lies, they fall apart one day, so just tell him that you think you may be allergic to wool.

I like the idea of wearing something warmer, but if you take your own afghan how will he feel. Just be honest, and all the best w/the friendship/relationship.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here