Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible to correct this with a 'vertical fix'?

Posted by bayareafrancy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 11:52

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the following repair is possible:

I am making a raglan sweater (knit flat--not in the round). I finished the back (luckily it is the back). When I did the neck decreases, I did the SSK's wrong. I slipped them purlwise, which ending up making them a "knit 2 tog through the back." (While I was doing them, I kept thinking "hmmmm, how is this any different from knitting them together through the back." LOL!"

The result is a sloppy zig zagging decrease that isn't a nice match for the ktogs.

I don't plan to fix it. It is the backside of a kid's sweater. It will get stretched a bit when the sweater is assembled. This is my first sweater, so it will have lots of other mistakes as well.

But I am curious about it. Would it be possible to do a vertical fix for this? You know, climb down the ole ladder, undo the incorrect decrease, and then fix it. Do that...uh...13 times. Would that work? Sometimes vertical fixes are possible, and sometimes (for reasons I am not clear on) they are not possible. Which type of situation is this?

Thanks!

:-)

Francy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible to correct this with a 'vertical fix'?

I don't see how you could go down and fix that, cause you are talking about boo boos outside of the current stitches on your needles.

Moni

o

Ah--that would be a problem! Wondering what would happen...

If I ever have time, it would be interesting to make a swatch, and then try to undo the incorrect decreases.

francy

o

If you're going to do something right, rip it out and re knit it correctly. Making something with blatant mistakes just because you're new at it isn't going to help you learn.

o

Actually, I have learned the most from mistakes--both accidental and intentional (so I can play with them). This mistake led me to learn about many possible increaes and decreases and how they can be used together, and for different purposes.

The opening part of the book "Knit Fix" is about knitting philosophy. The author asks, " How do you decide when to fix a mistake? Whose sweater is it, anyhow? Do you think anyone will notice? If they do, would you mind?"

This particular mistake isn't a "big deal" mistake for me at all. The 2 decreases look similar enough to coincide in the back, at a seam, on a "rough and tumble" sweater that will be getting hard sandbox and tree climbing wear.

Lots of room in the knitting world for different philosophies! Some things I fuss over (like a special gift for a friend), some things I don't.

francy

o

Francy, I like your philosophy! When I realized the picot hem was crooked on part of one of my socks, I had already knit too much to want to rip it out, so I just made that the back of the sock. Who will see it? Not even me, when I'm wearing them, and the rest of it is fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here