Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alternative to cast-off edge

Posted by sandra_ferguson (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 11:18

I have knitted what might be called an 'imitation' Shetland shawl, and instead of just casting off in the usual way, or trying to add a knitted lace border that I'd have to apply, I ended it with the following crocheted edging;
sl 1st st to crochet hook *chain 5, sl next st to crochet hook, YO and pull through both st on hook* repeat from * until al sts are used up. It's pretty and easy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alternative to cast-off edge

Photo?

o
RE: alternative to cast-off edge

Sorry, but my camera is dead! If interested in actually doing this edging on something, I'd suggest you knit a swatch of 20 or so stitches, depending on the yarn you're using(my shawl was done in garter stitch in single ply lace weight), and see what you think. Elizabeth Zimmerman suggested the same sort of crocheted edging, only she slipped several stitches each time....as I am planning to block my shawl and didn't want too tight an edging, I opted for the instructions I posted earlier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here