Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pockets

Posted by laurenjay (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 10:23

I finished a cardigan and would like to put on two pockets. What's the best way to do this. I want a neat, clean look.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pockets

Usually when knitting a cardigan with pockets you knit or crochet the opening in the sweater and then line with another knitted or crocheted piece on the wrong side.
However if you want to put them on the outside then make your pockets. Line up your pockets with a row of your sweater so it's straight.

I'd sew them on but some of the stitching might show. You can do a decorative embroidery stitch with your wool or a contrasting yarn. You can also crochet a line of single crochet to hide the stitching. This would reinforce the pocket stitching too.

o
RE: pockets

I believe you can still knit inner pockets on the garment, even after it is finished. It's called the "Afterthought Pocket and the directions are in Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Sweater Workshop", and they may be in one of her other books, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here