Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

silly sock question

Carol_Ann
17 years ago

I'm looking for a good basic sock pattern for someone who's never made socks (me!) -- something that will get me started on the techniques I need to know but is also pretty basic (don't need any special patterns knit into the socks yet). Does anyone have any suggestions? Yarn suggestions would be helpful, too, although the yarn stores around here seem to have plenty to chose from.

Thanks! Sign me, beginning again and making progress :)

Comments (34)

• cherbo
    17 years ago

I just started knitting socks this winter. Once you learn you'll love it. I learned from the Socks 101 site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks 101

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Carol Ann, I'd be happy to send you the pattern I used for my first foray into socks. It is called Mom's Bed Sock Bootie. It's made with worsted weight, so it wouldn't be suitable to wear inside a shoe (although my sister-in-law loves to wear hers with her boots), but your first time out, you probably want something that won't take forever to finish. If you'd like the pattern, send me an email and when I get home from work tonight I'll send it to you.

• profsusan
    17 years ago

here are two pattern links you may be interested in -
    Socks and Slippers and Mary's Socks

• sarasal
    17 years ago

I just made my first and second pair of socks this winter. I used the instructions on the Magic Stripes yarn from Lion Brand. As someone else said here, if you just follow the instructions, line by line, doing the heel was not that hard. The socks 101 website is great too, especially in explaining the grafting of the toe.
    Do check your gauge. I made one sock using the needle size on the instructions and it was huge. I had to go down 2 needles sizes, but the result was good.
    I think my socks have shrunk a little in the length and I'd make them slightly longer next time.

• marvel
    17 years ago

Thanks for asking your "silly sock question", because I think the reply of socks 101 may be an answer for me likewise. In reading about knitting seamless raglan sweaters, I printed the instructions for Baby Raglan Sweater (by Carole Barenys) for a smaller project to try and saw where it calls for "in the round" using 4 double points for the sleeves! Do any of you skilled dpns users think 101 will include enough teaching for me to accomplish these sleeves for my first time at using dpns? Hope I haven't bitten off too much. I have knit to raglan Mary Maxim sweaters 30 years ago that I made in an evening class. I have not used holders or picked up sts so I'm feeling the intimidation a little. The socks 101 looks very thorough so I am hoping I will be able to do these baby sleeves. Any advise is welcome...and appreciated.

• Zipper_TX
    17 years ago

I'd like to suggest a knitting video, this helped me figure out what was going on when I learned to knit socks ;0)

Go to the Socks section on this link and watch all the videos, I even knit with her because you can watch these videos as many times as it takes lol.

This helped me figure out how to hold those dpns so that I didn't have to struggle so hard to learn it, anyway hope it helps ;0)

Here is a link that might be useful: Knoon's sock demo

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

Sarasal, yes, you can do dps. I highly recommend that you use wood or bamboo dps. (I made my own using dowel and a pencil sharpener, sand paper and then I rubbed them with wax paper a dab of handcream for a smooth finish. The first thing I made with them, I kept my emery board handy to touch up any little burrs.) I do not like metal dps because they constantly slip out of the stitches.

• socks
    17 years ago

I just got this video, linked below. I haven't gone through it completely yet, just through casting on. Looks very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Zen of Socks

• marvel
    16 years ago

Donna do you have a scanner to send patterns by email? My windows 98 had a scanner but it wasn't compatible with my XP and I miss that aid. You're one of several people generously sharing patterns who really make this a neat forum .
    Sheila Joyce & others...thanks for the tip on using bamboo or plastic dps. My pattern for baby sleeves called for #5 and #3 coming up soon, and I am encouraged to get your tips. Have you or anyone else tips for sleeves worked from the top down?

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Yes, Marvel. Email at home is spotty right now, but if you send an email to me at work: donna@goscott.com, I'll send the pattern to you.

• marvel
    16 years ago

Thank you, Donna, I will email you for the simple sock pattern. I am having to wait to find both #3 and # 5 bamboo circular needles at JoAnn's Fabric to use for the baby sleeves of Carole Barenys' free online pattern. No plastic dpns or bamboo at our WalMart. Have you knit from the top down raglan sweaters?
    Marvel

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Marvel, I didn't get an email from you yesterday before I left work. And I will be leaving town for the weekend in a couple of hours. If you can manage to get an email through to me at home before I leave (mudpie@thegraphiczone.net) I can still get it to you before I leave. Otherwise it will have to wait until I get home. Alternatively, if you sign up at YouSendIt.com and let me know on the forum sometime this weekend that you did so, I can upload it for you there. It's an absolutely free site where you can upload files and specify the email address you want a notification to go to so they can download the file. I do check the forum even while I'm out of town.

Good luck finding small circulars at Joann's. Ours doesn't carry the smaller sizes. I usually have to go to the expensive yarn shop near where I work, or order them online.

I have not knit raglans from the top down. Sorry I can't help you there.

• marvel
    16 years ago

No rush, Donna, as I am working on picking up a dropped stitch and getting to the point where I will be attempting my first in the round knitting. I did find 1 #5 circular bsmboo at our JoAnn's, but as you know I need 2 each for both sizes. If they don't get in more, I will have to get to a yarn shop in Eagle River or Anchorage. Thanks for your willing speediness.

• marvel
    16 years ago

I received confirmation from YouSendIt.com afterall. I thought it may be more convenient for you as you check off your list of things you plan to do.
    Thanks, again.

Marvel

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Marvel, I hadn't received your email before I left town this morning. My friend is willing to let me receive email with her address while I am here. If you email me at kmamf@sbcglobal.net, I can still get the pattern to you this weekend. You are going to love YouSendIt. There is a download limit per month on the free account, but you can still send a lot of files.

And you will love working "in the round".

• marvel
    16 years ago

Guess what, Donna! I found a knit shop with Brittany Birch dpns,cns and straight needles; the owner says come in during store hours for help anytime. She displays a sock hanging from a cn using the "magic loop" method and is open Wed. evenings from 5-9pm for get togethers. Classes are done through summer, but they offer those, too. I think I'll be able to run in for those "in the round" sleeves, and get one on one help. Do you prefer the magic loop or 4 dnps? I thought I wanted to try the traditional dnps, first. I'll email you at your friends, Thanks, bunches!!

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Marvel, that's great! I'm so glad you're going to get the help you need. Can't wait to see your raglan.

I only recently tried the magic loop, and while it's good, I don't think it's my favorite. I do like it better than dpns, but my favorite way is to use two circulars. I don't get the pulling of stitches in the area like I do with magic loop where you actually have to pull the loop through. But Magic Loop may be the one that works best for you. Only you can decide.

I got your email and I've uploaded the sock pattern for you at YouSendIt.

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donna, thanks for sending me the pattern -- I got it just fine! I thought I'd better thank you here since it sounds like your email might not be working right. I'm anxious to try them -- thanks again -- Carol

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

You're welcome.

• marvel
    16 years ago

Goodness, Donna, I could not print the pattern whether I tried from MSOffice picture or from my copying it to MS Word Document. I sent another email to your friend's but will stick to this forum here on out as I don't know when you are returning home. Hate to have you waste too much time on the socks pattern for me. I sent emails prior to this note... CAROL, GLAD YOU COULD PRINT THE PATTERN, AS THE ORIGINAL REQUEST WAS FROM YOU!
    DONNA: On the needle types...I plan to use 2 cir after reading what you just said as opposed to the magic loop pulling. But I did buy 2 sets of 5 Birch Brittanys dpns. Will I be sorry I didn't get the bamboo cirs? I know I am working on sleeves right now and you said you can't help me on that score, but I'm open for tips using dpns if you have any.

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

No, Marvel I don't think you'll be sorry that you got the dpns. I still enjoy working with them, too. It just takes a bit of practice to get a good tension going so you don't get "ladders" where you switch from one needle to the next. Some say to make sure to pull the yarn tight at that point, but be careful not to pull too tight. I say just relax and practice. I'm sorry that I hadn't checked the email this evening. I've done so now, and copied the files into word documents and sent them to you. I hope this works. Do let me know.

• peaches12345
    16 years ago

Just want to say hi to all you knitters. I posted on HomeSite years ago, then it went to being a pay site and I dropped off. Now I have finally gotten my registration straightened out and I'm back and so happy to be.

I'm an avid knitter after giving it up for years. It's like riding a bicycle- it all comes back, doesn't it. I love making socks and with 6 grandchildren from 16 to 1 I am a busy knitter. I'm now 'taking orders' and loving every minute of it!

After this lengthy and unnecessary introduction, I do want to add to the praise for Socks 101. It is wonderful and I have printed it all out so I can refer to it if needed. My hint on avoiding ladders, other than pulling the first 2 stitches tightly as you change dpns, is to be sure your working needle is on top of the needle you have just finished when you start the next dpn, not underneath it. That way the needles and yarn can be pulled tightly together and there will be no ladders. There are other good sock sites out there; just google whatever your problem is and you'll find the solution. I googled 'avoiding sock knitting ladders' and got this answer.

• marvel
    16 years ago

Donna, I received your pattern in Word Document, but my printer will not get out of queue on the photo of the socks. It says it's process status is "deleting" but will cancel all documents but this initial one. So I am going to troubleshooter or online help. I greatly thank-you for the multiple attempts, but the problem is on my end till I can get this error in processing fixed; I won't be able to print anything. You've more than done your part!
    Marvel

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Marvel, try rebooting your computer and see if that helps.

• marvel
    16 years ago

Patty, thanks for your added comments for the dpns. I saw online somewhere that socks and sleeves from the top down are worked in the round so I've been asking questions to thwart problems on the baby sleeves. I have copied onto a document this about ladder prevention from you and Donna. Thanks for coming back to the forum scenario. It's such a blessing to have help on the "home"front via you all.

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

If you have more than one circular of the same size (like metal and bamboo), then knitting small circumferences on 2 circulars is the way to go if you don't want to buy separate sets of DPNs. I prefer Magic Loop so now the needles I buy are 40 inch and up circulars and they are the only needles I need for any size project from socks to baby hats to shawls.

• marvel
    16 years ago

REBOOTED and immediately your pattern started printing! Yeah! Thanks SO MUCH for the rescue and pattern, Donna!

Marvel

• marvel
    16 years ago

threejsmom, that is a good point on having the 40" or more cir. I want to master "in the round" on this 6 mos size, and the socks, then when I am ready for a sweater for myself or older child, I want to buy the longer Addi Turbos. Most of you, experienced knitters, think wooden is best for working small-in-the-round areas; will the naturas still be good on larger projects. And, will the extra amount of plastic cir hinder me if I try glove fingers? Probably, huh? Maybe I ask too many questions.
    Marvel

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Marvel, the exact same thing happened to me the other day when I was trying to print an envelope. I rebooted and the envelope just spat out. Glad you got the pattern to print.

Threejsmom is absolutely right. If you're going to use Magic Loop, the longer the circular, the better.

I do love the wooden circs, but that is entirely a matter of preference. For very small circs (needle size, not length), I would rather use my Quicksilvers. I'm making a hat on two size ones for my son and I've already broken my wooden circs, so I'm sticking with the Quicksilvers for the duration of the hat. And some yarns will actually drag on the wooden needles, so keep yourself open to all types, 'cept maybe plastic - I HATE them!LOL.

I do find the extra length a bit cumbersome for doing glove fingers and such, but that doesn't mean you will.

• marvel
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, for all the angles on in-the-round knitting. I have bought the Brittany Birch dpns so I am committed to this for now. The Magic Loop sock, I saw hanging in the shop, made of small sock yarn & using the Addi Turbo metal with 40"+ looked very neatly done. So I will keep all this in mind. It sounds as though you need drag on the smaller diameters and the smoother metal for regular, large bodies of work. I've seen plastic dpns in a thrift store and they looked warped...I take heed & 2nd your feelings. Thanks for your timely advice. Now, for the learning by doing haaaaa! If anyone wants to see the free baby raglan cardigan top down instructions, I'll include the link: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babysweraglangarterstripe.htm Check out their photo but be careful, it stirs up interest. Hope I won't be too long in catching on, or necessary yard stuff take up too disruptive time... "Babies don't keep we've learned to our sorrow..." so if this one gets to wear it, I must be dedicated to staying with it to the finish. Fun chore, huh!! Marvel

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

Some things to look for in buying needles for Magic Loop are smooth joins and flexible cords. The Addis have both, as do the Knitpicks needles which come in an interchangeable set and are cheaper than the Addis. However, I've heard that the newer Addi Naturas have a small groove in the join which sometimes catches fine yarn, so it's something to consider. I also like the stainless HiyaHiya needles from Knitting zone.com. Addi has come out with a new, pointier lace needle which has a coating giving it a little more drag than the regular Addis and this may be a good overall choice. The stores are having a hard time keeping it in stock because it's very popular.

• marvel
    16 years ago

Threejsmom, expense is a major consideration for me, alright, and the idea of interchangeable sets is very appealing. It's good to know about the fact that Addi Naturas can catch the fine yarn. I have started over with new yarn for the baby sweater I mentioned while I was waiting for help on a specific knit Pony Blocks Baby afghan pattern. But this baby cardigan has in the round sleeves which necessitates my learning something that looks similar to making socks which also stikes my fancy (peaks my interest as many seem to really enjoy making them). Since I am a new beginner at knitting in the round, I THINK it may be more helpful for me to have more drag. By chance, did you look at the free pattern I gave the link to on the baby cardigan? I want the sleeves to turn out, so I am hoping the socks instructions will be of help to me, too. I have already purchased the Brittany 7" dnps, so must stick with them. Have you knit sleeves in the round, and do you think watching or studying sock pattern knitting on the net will be what I need to accomplish these sleeves successfully? I am feeling intimidated, but do so want to learn.
    Marvel

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

Marvel,
    Yes, I think that the sock knitting websites will help you understand knitting in the round. The advantages to knitting in the round are minimizing seaming and if you're doing stockinette, you don't have to purl - you just knit round and round. When you cast on and start knitting in the round, be sure that you don't twist your stitches. I usually cast on an extra last stitch and knit it together with the 1st st to get a smooth join in the round. If you Google "knitting in the round" you may come up with websites that have pictures or videos.

• marvel
    16 years ago

Thankyou, 3j'smom. I ended up tearing out the yarn and starting over in Bernat's Softee as the pattern called for. It's the free Carole Barenys baby raglan sleeve at http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babysweraglangarterstripe.htm The sleeves are knit with the body from the top down and change to dpns at the lower part of the sleeve. Wondering if it will be the same as socks in the round?