Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyndwalkr

How many afghans can I pile up?

wyndwalkr
15 years ago

Anyone else out there who does not do the little stuff, but loves to crochet afghans? What do you do with them all? My family, friends and even neighbors have all gotten one as a gift from me. How can I justify continuing my passion without just piling them up in a closet? It is enough to spend the money on the yarn, but to also spend the money to ship them to a charity--I just can't do it. Look at ebay--they don't sell. I just looked at a BED SIZED beautiful one on ebay--one bid of $8.00. EIGHT DOLLARS!! Yet yarn sells like hotcakes on ebay.

I just finished an off-white afghan in diagonal box stitch, and I guess I will pack it away. My fingers are already itching to start another one. Help! Cheer up my day!!

Comments (13)

• socks
    15 years ago

I hear you! Shipping has gotten so expensive too. Bet that off-white afghan is pretty. Sounds like everyone you know has gotten an afghan. Maybe you need to make some new friends now!! LOL!

If you are willing to donate them, find a local thrift shop which supports a charity you like (maybe the hospital, or community outreach program) and donate it there. Put a note with it that it is new, so they'll know without making a full inspection.

If you are willing to crochet smaller sizes, you could make baby afghans for your hospital. Do you have a homeless shelter that could use them? Battered women's home?

$8 for all that work. Too bad.

• junef
    15 years ago

How about senior citizens at Church or if there is a nursing home or an assisted living home in your area, maybe you can donate some there.
    Have you tried taking them to a consignment store or one that sells a little of everything (variety store) and ask what they'll sell for?

Just a few options.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

I'm in the same boat here. Afghans are works of art, and I would not want to see one of mine dragged around in a shopping cart. For the homeless, donating warm fleece might be a better alternative. Do you have any local convalescent homes? Half-sized afghans make good lap robes, and some of those old folks don't get many birthday presents. Baby afghans for hospitals are always good.

I like Socks' advice..."Maybe you need to make some new friends now!!"

-Babka

• wyndwalkr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My Mom is in a nursing home and I see some lovely afghans there. Thanks to your comments so far, it crossed my mind that there are probably a number of residents, though, that didn't do needlework themselves or have someone who made them one. Perhaps that can be my first line of inquiry. Oh, and I could do lapghans, too, in that case. Good direction to point me in, thanks!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I keep alert to any new babies and crochet them an afghan and knit a matching sweater. So do keep some baby afghans on hand for quick gifts. I like to make big afghans for their crib or for playing on the floor when they are tiny, and then smaller afghans for the stroller. My kids are now the age where they and their friends are having babies. I have sent layette items to their coworkers I have never met. But everyone loves celebrating the arrival of a baby, so I just join the crowd with a gift.

• missemerald
    15 years ago

You could send one to me! But seriously, I have never made a crocheted afghan before, but I do make fleece blankets and I have been involved with a local chapter of Project Linus for some time. They would LOVE your afghans, I'm sure. They provide blankets (knit, crochet and/or fleece) to babies, kids, and older folks in hospitals and they really appreciate them. My daughter and I have made several fleece blankets for them, and they seem to go over well. I don't know if there is a Project Linus in your area, but you can check the website and see. Happy afghaning!

Marcy

Here is a link that might be useful: Project Linus

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I'm the same way wynd I love to make afghans and am thinking about giving them to the VA. Why not try what I'm doing now it is fun goes fast and not too difficult. I saw where the Sugar& & Cream yarn is on sale this week at Michael's 4/5.00. I got some at the begining of the week and went back today for more in different colors and am making dishcloths (dish rags) like mad. They are quick cute and relazing. Everyone will get a stack for Christmas this year. I just made a reasonable chain and then sc back and forth .

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

You'll want to make more after you read Sandra's post about the yarn sale

• wantoretire_did
    15 years ago

wyndwalkr - I know from a nurse friend that anyone undergoing chemo or dialysis can use something to keep them warm. I just took some small ones for kids to our local outpatient surgery center. Local hospital nursery is VERY grateful to get small ones for taking new babies home. Some new moms don't have anything for the babies (!). If you ask around, churches, sr. centers, etc., no matter how small an area you are in, you will find that there are many who would love to have an afghan. No postage, either :-)

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

I had the same problem with counted cross stitch pictures. Every person in my family has a picture-and very pleased to get it, but one is simply enough. The last one I made is a baby announcement...I'm waiting for someone to have a baby to fill in the details.

My mother could knit the Eiffel Tower, so I moved to piecing and hand quilting (which she also does, but at a slower pace since she's always got knitting projects backed up for all my nieces.) I've been so glad!

Perhaps you might also find another creative crafty hobby that has eager family wondering where they fall on your to do list, and wiggling their eyebrows when favorite colors happen to fall into the conversation. I know they're humoring me to some extent, but there's genuine 'I want one' in there. Or at least, 'I don't want another cross stitch picture!'

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I found I can get two dish cloths out of one of the small varigated colors of sugar and cream.. They are addictive too so watch out if you plan on trying them. (I use a G hook)
    I remember years ago a friend sent me one as a gift She bought them for $5each from a neighbor who made them

I made some at that time and they are still good in the kitchen and also work as potholders

• angieknits
    15 years ago

Have you ever thought about maybe making them as wall hangings? They make good insulation in the winter time. I know it sounds kinda silly, but I've been told by older relatives that the reason a lot of quilts were hung on the walls was for insulation of the home. So they look nice and help cut your heating and cooling costs, and they also cut down on the echos off the walls of your home.

• emeraldjayne62
    15 years ago

what about sending them to people that are willing to pay postage, I do work for cancer awareness and I would love to have a couple of them to raffle off, people here love them and are willing to help a good cause and I make them my self,but all proceeds go to Cancer awareness .If this is something you like to do get a price on shipping and let me know we need all the help we can get a month ago we did a fund raiser for a young man with cancer and the afghan went for 75.00 and that was great think about it and let me know I could use the help but I would need them for the relay for life in june thanks jane

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions