Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have 'Knit 2 Together'? Confused re: Santa Cruz Hoodie

Posted by bayareafrancy (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 3:15

I want to make the Santa Cruz hoodie from the book Knit 2 Together. However, I am very confused about how the sizes are listed, and how the yarn requirements are listed. So I have no idea how much yarn is needed, or how much to cast on, or what measurement goes with what.

Basically, total confusion! :-)

I can be more specific if anyone has the book...

Btw, I don't have the whole book (maybe she explains all her terms elsewhere in the book)--just a xerox for the hoodie.

Thanks!

francy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have 'Knit 2 Together'? Confused re: Santa Cruz Hoodi

Yarn requirements are only a guide. You could need more. I do not have this pattern, but are you experienced in reading patterns? What is the problem? Can you write out verbatim where you are confused? Then we can help.

o

I finally figured it out!

I was thrown b/c she uses a string of size numbers plus greater than/less than <> symbols. Then, the yarn requirements follow, and the commas and symbols made it hard to figure out how much yarn for each size.

Whew.

I was surprised to see (once I finally interpreted it) that the yarn requirements only differ by 3 balls for a size 6 kid sweater compared to a size 42" adult sweater. Only 3 balls (I think it was 15 vs 18)?

Now I just need to find an appropriate super bulky yarn (easy for me, but hard for my son--so much of it is very fluffy and/or shiny. And no bulky wool ease--way too itchy. And machine wash only. And cheap! etc. etc. etc.)

:-)

francy

o

I just picked up my copy that I got from the library. That really is confusing, not only because of so many sizes - with the adult sizes separated by < and > but with two colors of yarn, and amounts for each color, too.

Instead of a bulky yarn, you may want to consider knitting two strands together to get the right guage. That will give you more yarn choices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here