Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystic_2008

knitted rippled afghan

mystic_2008
16 years ago

I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make a rippled knitted afghan. I have looked in different sites and not found anything that I like. Has anyone got a pattern or web site for me to get this pattern. Thank you in advance.

Comments (20)

• suebdoo
    16 years ago

mystic_2008

My all time favourite afghan is called "rippling waves"

Each panel for this afghan is 36 stitches. I usually do anywhere from 4 to 6 or more panels - separated by ring markers (I don't like sewing up the panels).

Cast on in 36 stitch intervals.

Row 1: Knit 1, Knit 2 together, Knit 6, Wool forward Knit 1, Wool forward Knit 6, Knit 2 together, Knit 2 together, Knit 6, Wool forward Knit 1, Wool forward Knit 6, Knit 2 together, Knit 1.

Row 2: Purl

Row 3: Knit

This is the pattern.
    Usually knit on 5.5 mm circular needle with worsted weight yarn.

Try casting on 36 stitches - follow the pattern and see if you like the pattern. The nice thing is that each panel is 36 stitches.

Hope you like it. If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Sue

• mystic_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much Sue. I will give this a try as it sounds really good and not too hard............Grace

• mystic_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi cougar: The site that I liked best was the cache.lionbrand. It had a lot of different patterns not only the ripple one that I wanted but others. So thank you once again..........Mystic

• patt55s
    15 years ago

Hello
    I am new to this fourm but happened to see your request and wanted to share my Grandma's pattern for a ripple afghan that has been in the family for years. I have done two strips together on circulars to have less sewing at the end and also have done double yarn and bigger needles.

GrandmaÂs Afghan Pattern:
    Cast on 36 stitches

Row 1

Knit 1
    Knit 2 together
    Knit 6
    Yarn Over Knit 1
    Yarn Over Knit 6
    Knit 2 Together
    Knit 2 Together
    Knit 6
    Yarn Over Knit 1
    Yarn Over Knit 6
    Knit 2 Together
    Knit 1

Row 2
    Pearl Whole Row

Row 3
    Knit Whole Row

Knit 84 of the pattern stitch to get desired length
    Size 7" needle, 10" inches
    12 skeins of yarn
    3-4 oz skeins = 2 strips

• mystic_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Patti: Thank you very much for the detailed rippled afghan pattern My question to you is, I have quite a bit of odds and ends of yarn. Can they be used in this pattern and how would it look..........Mystic

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

mystic 2008, the pattern Patti55s is the identical pattern I gave you. It has been around forever. It would look great using odds and ends either by the individual panel or whether you do several panels together on a circular needle.

What I do is cast on 36 stitches place a round stitch marker, another 36 stitches place another stitch marker (as many panels as you like) 6 or 7 are pretty common.

Sue

• mystic_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much Sue. I have a whole box full of odds and ends of yarn and I needed something to make with them. This sounds like the perfect project. Thanks once again for the pattern........Mystic

• patt55s
    15 years ago

Hi to Sue and Mystic,
    I guess that I didn't read your pattern Sue, sorry, I know that it has been around for a long time and I think sky is the limit with the options this pattern gives you. I have made it using one skein at a time or I have made it on size thirteen circulars doubling the yarn to make it heavier. I have combined colors too when knitting it double. Like I said I think the possibilities are endless. I have only placed two strips on the circulars was kinda afraid of it being to heavy to move around??
    Good luck and have fun!

• patt55s
    15 years ago

Hi to Sue and Mystic,
    I guess that I didn't read your pattern Sue, sorry, I know that it has been around for a long time and I think sky is the limit with the options this pattern gives you. I have made it using one skein at a time or I have made it on size thirteen circulars doubling the yarn to make it heavier. I have combined colors too when knitting it double. Like I said I think the possibilities are endless. I have only placed two strips on the circulars was kinda afraid of it being to heavy to move around??
    Good luck and have fun!

• mystic_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both for giving me a pattern to work with. I started to cast on stitches, but think that perhaps it would be better to just do two stripes instead of all that I have got on now. Will be taking all those other stitches off as it probably would be too heavy to do all at one time. So thank you both very much.....Mystic

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

Hi Patti and Mystic,

I keep saying I'm going to use up all of my odds and ends using this particular pattern. A "Joseph's Coat" afghan.
    I've actually put 8 panels on a circular (nice and warm in the winter). Do whatever is most comfortable for you!!
    Good Luck Ladies and have fun creating.

Sue

• mystic_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both for the pattern. I started it last night and did 6 panels, but this morning thought that was going to be a bit heavy when I got done, so this morning I ripped out all those stitches and put on enough for 2 panels at a time. That is going to be very nice and I really like the pattern. I am doing it with lots of colors, so that should be nice. So thanks........Mystic

• noelmacfarlane_pei_sympatico_ca
    13 years ago

This is a pattern my grandmother and I used years ago. Love the pattern but hate sewing it together. Does anyone know how many stitches are needed to do it on circular needles?

• soyamiso
    13 years ago

As suebdoo suggested, cast on in multiples of 36. Four panels would require 144 stitches; 6 panels would be 216. Place markers after each 36th stitch, i.e., marker after 36, 72, 108, 144, 180 stitch. Then knit the pattern.

• Beryl47
    9 years ago

Hi Sue
    How much yarn do I need .what kind of wool,what size of needles ~??

• suebdoo
    9 years ago

Beryl47
    I use knitting worsted yarn. I use either a 5.5 mm or 6 mm circular needle. I usually buy at least two or three of the $9.00 or $10.00 large balls of red heart at Wal-Mart.

• belindakor
    2 years ago

Hi Sue, Are you still on this site? I was given this pattern in 1968 when I lived in Los Angeles.
    I love it and have knitted five, one for each grandchild. They all still have their ‘blankness.’
    Here I am living in the Uk. Lost my pattern but happily found it on the internet thanks to you.
    Belinda

• belindakor
    2 years ago

That should read ‘blankies.’ That’s autocorrect for you.

• HU-5441608
    last year

Thank you so very much ! I am 64 years old and have literally made dozens of these afghans over the years but could not remember the pattern and have been looking forever ! I have a new stash of yarn and now I can get back at it !!!!!

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz
More Discussions