Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please clarify 2 circ, knitting

Posted by calicokitty (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 23:34

Can anyone help me to understand in which direction to knit when working in the round with 2 circular needles? This is what has me stumped.

In this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybPvCNfrT8 ,
she starts knitting counter-clockwise. She knits into the last cast-on stitch and knits around to the first cast-on stitch.
Yet on this site, http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html ,
the knitting goes clockwise. She takes the working yarn, pulls it across the gap to start knitting on the other needle. She knits into the first of the cast-on stitches and knits around to finish on the last cast-on stitches.

I've followed both set of directions and both work. I've managed to get through a few projects using one method or the other. My brain just can't find the rhyme or reason.

I'm hoping one of you can help me figure this out. I'd be much happier if there was one standard rule of how to. Right now I'm just puzzled.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please clarify 2 circ, knitting

While I have seen it done with moving (or even exchanging) one stitch to the other needle, I have never seen the actual knitting done the way Cat shows in her video. I LIKE IT! The second video you posted is the way I have seen it done. But with Cat's way there is not length of yarn stretched between the two tips when you get to the end of the first row, which is usually what I end up with. Of course, it all works out fine after a couple of rows, but I definitely am going to use Cat's way next time.

In short, I don't either way is wrong or right. They both work fine, and it is strictly a matter of preference and what you are comfortable with.

o
RE: Please clarify 2 circ, knitting

Thanks for your answer, Donna. It was you who first told me about knitting on 2 circulars last fall when I asked about the London beanie. I started off using Cat's method. Then later tried the other.
Still not sure which I prefer, but am glad to know there's no right or wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here