Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Project Idea

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time crocheter (since 9th grade and I'll be 20 next month), and I've done a lot of projects and gifts for friends and family. All those negative comments from rude and jealous people in high school have paid off into postive self-esteem boosters! However, the next project I would like to do is for myself.

One of my favorite musicals is The Little Mermaid and, I hate to say it, but I love Ursula in this version! So I'm planning to make an Ursula doll. I saw a mermaid pattern on CPC and would use it for the top half and use an octupus pattern for the tentacles. I may need to use fiberfill or pipe cleaners for posability. Sorry I don't have a camera but if I get one, I'll post pictures!

Can't wait to hear your comments/ideas!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (16)

• Vickey__MN
    14 years ago

Sounds cute to me!

DO you belong to Ravelry? There are guys there that knit and crochet..you're not that unique!

www.ravelry.com

Vickey-MN

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vickey, no I don't belong to Ravelry. I've never heard of it! I just may have to check it out!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

Your idea sounds great. Good for you! Please post pics when you get it made. Good luck.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, sorie6! As I said before, I don't have a camera but if I do get one, I'll post pics!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Brad! You could use crocheted spirals for the tentacles on your Ursala. I am including the link for Ravelry. It's free to join.

Tami

Here is a link that might be useful: this might be useful

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Tami!

My only concern with this project is how to make her hair, gloves and the spikes on the tentacles? Any ideas?

I've decided to make the dress, head and arms first. Then, for the tentacles I'll use pipe cleaners and crochet around them. Then I'll sew them to the dress. If that doesn't work I'll crochet spirals for them. Gotta have a backup plan.

I found a picture of Ursula in the Broadway version, to get a good idea for the hair.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1574526}}

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And the entire costume.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Sorry, Brad, I have no idea on how to do her hair or spikes on her tentacles. For her gloves, maybe you can just use that color yarn on that part of her arms. Also, if you find that pipe cleaners don't work, try working around size 16 craft wire. Or threading the same wire thru the tentacles after you have crocheted them.

Tami

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's OK, Tami. I'll look for the craft wire next time I go to Wal-Mart. Thanks for the idea for the gloves. For the dress, I'll make a solid piece first then crochet a black netting like piece to go over it for the effect.
    Maybe I can do her hair like the tentacles? Just crochet over pre-cut and shaped pieces of the wire.

Is there a multicolor yarn that's purple, blue and green?
    I thought I saw Red Heart make a color like it? Anybody know? Here's the colors I'm planning on using for my project.

Hair: White or cream
    Body (head, arms and torso): White or cream
    Dress: Light green covered over with black
    Gloves and tentacles: Multicolor mentioned above

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Brad, try visiting the different yarn company's web sites. They usually have color charts of the differnt yarns they have. That can give you an idea of what you want to use.

As to the hair and tentacles, just crochet over the wire and then shape it. That should be easier than trying to crochet around odd curved or bent shapes.

I look forward to seeing your progress once you start. Can you post pictures as you go?

Tami

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tami, thanks on where to find the colors of yarn!
    Sorry, I don't have a camera so I can't post pictures!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found two colors that Red Heart makes that I'm interested in. They are the RH Kids Beach Ombre and RH Classic Gemstone Multicolor. My first choice is the Beach Ombre if I find it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

Hey Brad
    glad to see you post. When I was in the laundramat lst week a gal asked me if what I was doong was hard to do. crocheting.
    I said no and took my hook and some yarn I had with me and showed her how to do a chain stitch. She was having lot of trouble so the guy she was with took over and following my directions showed her how to do it. I let them keep the chain that they made for future reference. I would have given them the hook but it was one of those expensive lighteed ones. I sure hope they went out and bought some yarn and a hook and carried on.

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Brad, how's the project going? Hopefully, you have found the colors you wanted and have gotten started! Keep us posted.

Tami

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, guys. The gardening bug's been distracting me so I haven't got around to Ursula yet. I saw some interesting colors at Wal-Mart and I just went into Michaels for the first time last Tuesday and I may get some yarn there on my next trip. I'm planning to make my first quilt as well, so Ursula will have to wait for now. I will keep everyone posted! Thank you for your concerns!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update. Yard clean-up is about all the gardening that will get done around here for a while! That won't be distracting me at all. Congratulations on starting your first quilt, also. Let us know how that goes, also.

Tami

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions