Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding a buttonhole to a finished garment

Posted by charann102_2006 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 08 at 21:49

I have a knit dog sweater that is finished and would like add a buttonhole so it can be used with a harness. Does anyone know how to open the stitches without the entire garment raveling?

Any assistance would deeply be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding a buttonhole to a finished garment

don't know how to open stitches...but would using a bit of velcro be easier?

o

No, I don't think you can open the stitches. But you could use the buttonhole stitch or a tigth zigzag stitch on your sewing machine to make a buttonhole, then cut it open.

o

You could also probably, using your finger, enlarge a spot where you want the button hole to be...then blanket stitch around it by hand, using your yarn to keep the hole there. The sewing machine bit would work too, but I wouldn't use the zigzag....just straight stitch, and 2 rows of that...then sip between the rows for the hole.....the machine stitching will prevent it from 'unknitting' itself!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here