Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grafting

Posted by susan_on (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 18, 07 at 21:28

I'm making socks, which are turning out nicely. But I would like to know how to graft the toe end so that it looks good. Mine never seem to turn out that smooth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grafting

Susan, I never seem to be happy with my toes either, and that is why I resorted to making my socks toe up. They look lovely that way and you feel absolutely no seam. But I would probably say that the following way worked for best for me grafting the toe:

With an equal number of stitches on two dpns (usually 8), cut yarn, leaving about 12 inches length. Slip stitches onto a 3rd needle, alternating between stitches of one needle, then the other, until all stitches are on one needle.
Bind off: Using crochet hook, & beginning at end opposite yarn strand, pull 2nd stitch through 1st stitch, continuing across row, pulling yarn strand through last stitch. Pull to inside of sock, darn through a few stitches.
Split plies of yarn and weave each separately through several stitches.

o

Thanks Donna. Do you do that on the inside of the sock or the outside?

o

Hi - Go to google - type in mini knitting lessons. I think it will be second item that pops up. Open that and scroll down. It has pictures and tells you exactly how to graft a toe. I have knit dozens of socks and I always have to refer to that site to do the toes. Good luck.

o

Susan, I do that on the outside. You might want to make sure that your last row before binding off is a bit loose.

o

I use kitchener stitch this site has pictures along with the information for doing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchener stitch

o

Thanks so much, everyone. I used the kitchener stich and it looks fantastic! I never thought I could make such a nice looking sock (now for the other one). I really appreciate the help.

o

I recently learned the kitchener stitch too (using the link zipper suggested). It's kind of fun once you learn it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here