Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suse17

Newest projects completed

suse17
18 years ago

Here are photos of my latest crochet projects. I've been on a tear - there are two more ponchos completed which I already gave away to two pregnant friends. I'll have to hit them up for photos. ( just click on the right arrow at the top of the first picture for the second project)

Here is a link that might be useful: projects

Comments (25)

• dances_in_garden
    18 years ago

Wow, I love the colours on that blanket! Was that a certain kind of yarn that changed colour like that? The soft transition from one to the other is stunning.

Great poncho and carriage cover too!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

Love the rainbow effect.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

great blanket - since I have been making so many this past year, I am always looking for new patterns. Are you willing to share this pattern? There are three new babies that I need to make for and would like something different.

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

Susan, very nice. I made one almost identical, except I put a shell edging around it. I bought enough to make 2 of them. I just love the way the colors flow, don't you?

• suse17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the postive feedback, everyone!

The pattern is a round ripple - there are several of them posted on the web. What makes this one special is the way that the colors are worked. Here is the trick:

Use two strands of yarn throughout. This is Bernat Baby Coordinates worked with a K hook. Starting in the center, crochet the first four rounds with color #1 (remember, two strands!)
    Rounds 5 & 6, use one strand of Color #1 and one strand of color #2.
    Rounds 7 & 8, use two strands color #2.
    Rounds 9 & 10, use one strand color #2 and one strand color #3,
    Rounds 11 & 12, two strands color #3. You get the picture.

To duplicate the blanket in the picture, you'll need seven colors: one skein of each, plus a second skein of the last color used if you want to do two rounds of it. If you crochet loosely, you may need to go into a second skein of color #6 as well. I found that I could use one strand from the center of a pull skein, and the second from the outside without too much difficulty when doing two strands of the same color.

You'll end up with lots of leftover yard from the first few colors. I think I almost ran completely out of lavender - just a few yards left. But, I can make a second blanket from what's left if I purchase about 3-4 more skeins if I am willing to re-arrange the colors.

• suse17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I should have mentioned that the colors are basically (from the inside): White, Yellow, Peach, Pink, Lavender, Blue and Green. Some of the colors were available in more than one shade. I just picked what I thought would work best together. Don't recall the specifics of what I chose.

• suse17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Donna, your white round ripple is really spectacular. Do I see thin bands of another color in it, or is it an optical illusion?

Susan

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

Beautiful work!
    That rainbow effect blanket is stunning!

• profsusan
    18 years ago

I found a 40" round ripple pattern but am happy that you shared the color scheme since the one you made is lovely. Thanks again.

• suse17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can't take credit for originating the color scheme or the technique. That came from an Annie's Attic item that was in the catalog a few months ago.

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

Actually, I believe that color scheme originated from a Mary Maxim catalog. The kit is still for sale in their book.

Susan, the white ripple is all white. The darker areas (which didn't photograph well) are pompadour. They have one shiny white thread plied in with the regular white.

• suse17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Donna -

No wonder I could never find it again! Thanks for the correction, and the info about your white blanket.

S.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

I started the afghan using the pattern I found for a 40" round ripple - I am getting "puckering" - tried a larger hook but still no luck - any suggestions? perhaps this is a different pattern

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

Susan, if you are using any reasonable size hook for the type of yarn you are using, that shouldn't be the problem. Not knowing the pattern you are using, I can only guess, but in the pattern I usually use, increases are not made on every row. Every third row there is no increase. Is your pattern the same? That could be the problem.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

this may be the problem since the one I found has me increasing every row - I'll test this out because I'm frustrated and have already ripped out what I've done twice! the pattern I found was for a six point round ripple - found one with 12 points - thinking about trying that one instead
    Thanks Donna

• profsusan
    18 years ago

I am about to give up! I started the new pattern for the 12 point 40" round ripple. Mine looks nothing like Susan's. Her stitches seem even going up to and down from the point. On mine, the stitches going up to the point look very close and the ones coming down from the point look like Susan's. Why don't they look the same? At least this time there is no "puckering". Any suggestions? Any possibility of sharing the instructions for one that looks like the one posted?

Thanks for all the help.

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

Here is a link to the pattern. Don't give up. You'll get it right.

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 point round ripple

• profsusan
    18 years ago

thanks Donna, I'll give this one a try. I'll keep you posted.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

this pattern is just a bit different - mine called for alternating 2 rows of small shells and 2 rows of large shells. Started again - changed my yarn and it looks better - still the "up" direction does not appear quite the same as the "down" direction from the points. Shared it with a fellow crocheter at work and she can't figure out want I'm doing different but thinks it looks fine so I guess I'll continue. This one is not for anybody in particular - it will be an extra since I started on the others I needed with different patterns.

Thanks to everyone, especially Donna for all the help. It is really appreciated.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

thanks to everyone for their support - I finally tackled the blanket and it is completed.

• socks
    18 years ago

Profsusan, that looks spectacular! Nice work!

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

Profsusan, that is a very nice afghan. With just a little steam (hold the iron above the afghan with a cotton towel laid over it) it will lay nice and flat. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am trying to address your comment about it looking different going down than going up. I can see it a bit in your picture, but would you mind taking a close up of the afghan, from one point to another point, so I can see a good view of one of the valleys? I might be able to pinpoint what you are doing differently. It really is pretty.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

thanks for taking a look - here are two close ups -
    took one without a flash since I think it is a bit clearer

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

This looks like basically a ripple pattern. And if I understand your concern correctly, the holes are different looking in a ripple pattern. The hole in the section that seems to point up is made by making 3 stitches in the same stitch. The holes going down are made by skipping 2 stitches. So they are not an exact match, but they are consistent and look fine.

I make a huge granny square baby afghan using the rainbow technique described. I use two strands of worsted, changing the colors as described above. It is one huge granny square, only one, and it looks nice. Since it has so many lacy holes in the design, I make it for summer babies.

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

Prof, you are right. The stitches going up do look a bit different than those going down. That is not to say that it looks bad however. It almost looks as if you have used a larger hook on the down side. It's probably just that you use a different tension on the down side. Maybe you are holding the hook or the afghan differently on the second half of each ripple. Your tension will even out as you crochet more. Keep up the good work.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions