Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

keeping track of needles

susan_on
17 years ago

I inherited a bundle of DPN's in various sizes. They are bundled with an elastic. There are at least 36 needles there. Is there a way I can keep them so that I know the size automatically without measuring against the gage? The packages are long gone. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem, and how they handled it.

Comments (9)

• lawmar
    17 years ago

I only have about 5 sets of dpn's. But I have this long tube that I put all my needles in and with my dpn's, I bundle them with tape and write the size on the tape. I always keep them in the same place, otherwise I would lose them in my menagerie. Seems to work allright for me.

• Zipper_TX
    17 years ago

I went to the Dollar Store and bought four toothbrush holders, the tube type with lids, and sorted mine into those then labeled them with address labels and a piece of clear packing tape to keep the the labels clean. I couldn't find just the toothbrush holders I had to buy the whole travel kit but for a dollar I think I got a deal lol. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of those little bottles and jars. ;0)

• susan_on
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll try these suggestions. I have so many needles; dpn's, circular, regular needles...I have to get a system going.

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

This is going to sound lame but it might work for now: freezer tape sticks really well (forever, sometimes, to my consternation) -- why not wrap some freezer tape around the top end of the needle, write the size on it, and there you go... (well, it would probably be easier to write on the tape and then wrap it on the needle)... not very elegant but then you'd have the size right on the needle. Just a thought :)

• Eliza_ann_ca
    17 years ago

Thanks Zipper for the toothbrush holder idea.I currently have mine all loose in a large hatbox,and it is a pain trying to match up the correct sizes when I need them.
    Just what I need!Another excuse to go to Dollarama...LOL
    Eliza Ann

• Zipper_TX
    17 years ago

Glad I could give you a good excuse Eliza Ann, lol. Don't you just love those stores? I finally came up with the toothbrush holder idea when I kept loosing needles out of the bottom of those plastic bags they come in. (DPN's poke holes who knew?? hahaha)

Zipper

• OklaMoni
    17 years ago

Zipper, thanks for that idea. I will have to look in to it. Got a pretty box I use, but it is overflowing.

The circular needles fit niceley in a zip lock bag, and are kept in sequence in my tin box.

Moni

• Zipper_TX
    17 years ago

Moni, the pretty box and tin are also great ideas, I have paper napkins in my tin like that I use them in the RV and it makes life easier when you eat outside. ;0)

I better mention that I found some toothbrush holders in CVS pharmacy but they had holes in the bottom of them and were more expensive than the ones at the dollar store, the ones I got were just the perfect size and cheap to boot.

Also the toothbrush holders I bought came in packages with other little things like flip-top bottles, screw lid jars and soap dishes. I couldn't find just the toothbrush holders but I was willing to take all the extras just to find a nice home for the DPN's lol.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

You could bundle the needles together and on one make a tiny, narrow band for each number of the needle. A size 8 would have 8 stripes of nail polish on it. Or you could sew a series of narrow, long pockets on some quilted fabric, making one pocket for each set of dpns. And you could embroider the number on the pocket or doe 8 little French knots, for example.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions