Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outoluck

knitting socks help

outoluck
13 years ago

hello everyone

i haven't been on for a while but was hoping to get some help and advice. I have decided I would love to try and knit some socks. i can do basic knitting and have always ed use straight needles. a friend suggested i use circular needles and showed me a little. just enough to make me become frustrated lol is there a good site that gives good instructions with pictures or videos or can some one suggest a easy to understand instruction book. any help would greatly be a preciated

Comments (5)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

You can find free online patterns if you google them. Also, the large yarn companies have free patterns, such as lionbrand.com. I would start with a basic sock--no fancy lace work. Someone warned me when I was ready to start sock knitting that they tend to turn out big. But she still suggested for the first one that I just use some worsted yarn and go ahead and knit ONE practice sock for the general idea. They are not that hard to knit.

I prefer to use double pointed needles as I did not have any small circulars for socks and I did not want to use the methods using a very long circular or two circulars.

If you have any babies in the family, I suggest that you might like to knit some baby socks at first as they make up so quickly. I like to use a superwash sock yarn so that the baby's laundry can go into the family wash and not require hand washing for a busy mom.

Hope this helps.

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

Google knitting socks with the magic loop method. There are some great tutorials online. It's the only way I knit socks, tho I did learn on double points. Find a pattern for a simple baby sock pattern to learn on, less to rip out if you need to! Let us know how you progress.

Tami

• MayMays
    13 years ago

(pardon my raw link, I'm brand new here and have no idea how to embed a link yet)

Can I just start with a little advice? Follow your own preference for method (type of needles, toe up or top down, etc.). And trust the instructions and just follow them without trying to think much. Also, don't ever think you can't do it -- just try another method until you find one that works for how your brain and fingers work together.

My first socks were knit from this book: http://www.amazon.com/2-at-Time-Socks-Revealed-Knitting/dp/1580176917

Make a point of watching videos online, there are several on youtube I found very helpful and still do as I search for different techniques.

This is what I started with and is still my personal preference, you may love it or you may hate it. 2-at-a-Time Socks uses the top down circular needle (magic loop) method. You make two at once, so when you're finished you have a pair (and they'll be the same tension!). I did a regular pair my very first time and they turned out like I'd been making socks all my life and they're still going strong. Instead of making each sock a different color to avoid confusion the first time, I just used different colored stitch markers on each sock. I like a 42" circular needle because I make size 10 socks, and currently the double cast on method is my favorite.

There are endless techniques for making every part of the socks, so there is a lot of fun exploring one can do for a seemingly simple and small project. Socks are so portable, customizable, luxurious, and they wow the heck out of anyone who sees you knitting them.

• socks
    13 years ago

Just my opinion, best of all would to be to take a class or have a sock knitter help you.

• Vickey__MN
    13 years ago

I taught myself how to knit socks. I wanted to know all ways as some patterns are best on DPN's some can be done on circulars. Okay I don't know all, I can't do two at a time on DPN's...YET...may be a goal some day.

So I started with a single sock on DPN's...this gives you the structure of a sock, turning the heel, TO ME was easier on DPN's..at least to learn.

Then I went to two circulars...ONE SOCK...this was good, didn't fall off the DPN's as fast, but I'd forget which circular I needed and end up with a little mess to clean up, but was good.

Finally got brave and did two socks on two circulars. Once I had that I did Magic Loop and fell in love with it. Still have issues with the heel, but all in all..I don't drop needles!

BUT there are still patterns (cookie A) that are better on DPN's. But mainly I like to do both my socks at once as otherwise the second sock may not get done!

E-mail me if you'd like and I'll walk you through socks! I LOVE to make them. Never worn them, my DD's, DIL, and DGD love them, and beg for them, so haven't had time to make any for myself yet!

Vickey-MN

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions