Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Ok, have hook, have yarn...will $*(@&@^ travel?!

girlgroupgirl
17 years ago

Well,

I have my crochet hook.

I have my yarn.

Learned how to make the slip knot.

Learned how to crochet a chain.

Learned how to start a loop.

Now I am totally stuck with making the 2nd row of the loop.

I'm trying to learn by photograph instructions on the internet. They try to explain or show with arrows where the hook goes but it's hard to "get" at least for me, the old hard head!

I laugh when I see all your beautiful afghans and creations. It seems like I will never get there!

GGG

Comments (15)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

It is easy. Don't give up. Look on this site here and find the mention of the online filmed demonstrations for how to do stitches. You can do it!

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

GGG - That row following the chain is always a bear, hard to handle. Just take your time and you will get through it, then it gets much easier.

Carol

• socks
    17 years ago

You'll get there, don't worry! That first row is a little awkward, but after that it gets easier.

You could try another website for a different perspective, or go to the library and get a book which also might give you some help. Ask friends, neighbors or co-workers for help. Lot of people know how to crochet and would be happy to give you a few minutes of time.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

• profsusan
    17 years ago

you may want to put bobby pins in the first and last stitch so that you don't lose them - those are always the toughest for new crocheters. Helps to keep the work even until you figure out where all the stitches are

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BOBBY PINS! what a great idea!
    I am still working on it... I just keep doing a bit then ripping out. I'm having a hard time with counting chains for the 2nd row of things.
    If I need to chain three to go back into the circle, do I count those three chains and (I'm doing double crochet) go back into the 4th for another DC, or do I count chains only on the older crochet piece...

Between my confused count, and funky tension, the circles I'm trying to do get very wonky. I just rip out and try over and over again...

THANK YOU

Glynis

• annsb
    17 years ago

Glynis, I just picked up crochet myself so bear with me.
    If I get you right you first made a chain then slip stitched them into a ring, right? Then for the second row you chain 3 (that is basically counted as your first double crochet and you just ignore it for the moment).
    Then they probably told you to make a number of dc( let's use 5 dc as an example) and that is where you are having the problem of where you put the hook in?
    If so then you put your hook into the space in the middle of the ring you made in row one. Think of it as a donut. And for all 5 of the dc they will all go into that same ring hole. Does that make sense?

Go to the library or borrow the book The Happy Hooker. It has diagrams and very good descriptions of how to do it plus the book is amazing for a beginner.
    I also really like a book called Teach Yourself Visually Crochet...again you can probably get it at the library.
    I ended up buying the Happy Hooker book because it was so good!
    Hope this helps.....ann

• profsusan
    17 years ago

The link I provided is Lion Brand's Learn to Crochet directions - you can download in PDF and save the reference sheets. This other is for free crochet videos (right-click here to open in new window). I sent this link to my daughter who is also learning since she is on the west coast (CA) and I am on the east coast (NY). She found it helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lion Brand - learn to crochet

• annsb
    17 years ago

This link shows photographs of making the chain and joining it, chaining 3, then dc into centre, etc.
    Just scroll down to "Joining a chain to form a Ring" and "Crocheting into first ring".

Here is a link that might be useful: step by step with photographs

• sweets98
    17 years ago

So it sounds like you are working on a pattern, I take it? I'm a self-taught crocheter, too and honestly, the worst thing you can do is try to jump right into a project! Get some yarn and mess around making small pieces and just get the feel for what you are doing.

I taught myself to chain and single crochet and stuck with that for a bit until I got the hang of it before moving on any further. At first, my work was so tight that I had to use FORCE to get my hook through the stitches! LOL

Do something simple at first like a scarf, coaster, placemat, etc.

If you do attempt a pattern and you're just trying to get the hang of it, once you do get the hang of what you're doing, your work will loosen up and change a lot so you'll end up hating the start. I've been there, done that! :)

You'll get there! Good luck!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank-you all for your help. A GW friend convinced me to go for a scarf first.
    I did get a good book out the library about knitting in squares. It uses only single crochet (although I have no troubles with double crochet stitch, it's just still a bit tight). I think I'd like to make the scarf using a variety of types of yard. I just need to find some more bits and pieces. They don't seem to have any at our local thrift store!!!

GGG

• mirren
    17 years ago

I used to crochet about 25 years ago but I had a friend right beside me to help with every row. I made afghans, doilies and a tablecloth. I stopped and have started again. I even took a class and cant seem to get the hook in the proper place. So frustrating. Never seem to end up with the correct amount of stitches in the row. BUT for my birthday my sister gave me three books, Crocheting for Dummies, Quilting for Dummies and Sewing for Dummies. I have started with the Crocheting book and it is wonderful. It assumes I have never held a hook before and goes through the whole process. I am now on the fifth row of an afghan I have had the yarn for for at least five years. If you have a Chapters book store near you all the Dummy books are 30% off right now.

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

GGG ~ Just keep practicing, and pretty soon it will be a lot easier. I started crocheting when I was 15, and my stitches were so tight at first. I love to crochet, especially with the fine threads these days. I've made a lot of aphgans, baby sets, doilies, etc. over the years.

You can do it! You will be thrilled once you get the hang of it and then you'll be 'hooked'.

Happy Crocheting ~ FlowerLady

• sweetpea5372
    17 years ago

Look at the local Library. I rented a DVD that helped me alot. I got to keep it for a few days and used the rewind quite a bit. I beleive it's called "Art of knitting and Crocheting 2" By Leisure Arts. It helped me to see it in action as well. Sometimes reading it just doesn't do it.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Our local library has 1 book on crochet. A few on knitting. It's a smaller library that seems to focus more on childrens books and people using computers that adult books. We don't have many DVD's or videos or anything like that.
    I need to get to another library.

GGG

• ficklephonebug
    16 years ago

For me, reading patterns is like reading...ummm... MARTIAN!

Go to You tube and type "crochet" in the search, it's like
    a private lesson that you can reply over and over again. For free.
    Works for me, hope it works for you too.
    Good luck
    Fickle