Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much yarn?

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 17:26

Hi there, new to this forum, but have spent a lot of time over the past decade on other forums.

I used to crochet a lot back in the 70's and early 80's but all I have made in the last 20 years is a scarf. Easy peasy.

I started making some baby booties for my daughter who is expecting in June. They call for back post half double crochet and front post half double crocet. I figured out how to do the stitches, but the yarn keeps splitting and I have given up on them for now. Maybe once I have some practice crochet under my belt I'll tackle them again.

For now I'd like to start with a baby afghan and I have found several nice patterns online. Problem is they aren't very specific on how much yarn is needed. One pattern recommends Premier Big Ball brand. Looks like the Big Ball is about 1000 yards of yarn. Another pattern just says "4-ply yarn" and another takes you to a website that sells another brand of yarn.

So....is there a way to figure out approximately how much yarn a small, simple baby blanket will require? I'd really like to get some hand-spun hand-dyed yarn from one of the sellers on Etsy.com, but I have no idea how much I will need for a simple 30 x 40 (or thereabouts ) size blanket.

Thanks in advance....
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much yarn?

Premier Big Ball brand.Before you buy it check the end to see if the yarn comes out of the ends otherwise you have to rewind the whole ball from the out side yarn or put the yarn in a big bag and use the yarn from the outside. I wouldn't buy it if the yarn doesn't come out of the ends .

o

the 1000 yards is kind of an average - it depends on the gauge, your crocheting style, and the density of the 'fabric' you're making...

the 'best' way? is to reel off 20 yards or so, and work a swatch that's one or two repeats wide (or 4-6" wide, depending on the pattern) and see how far that yardage gets you... it also lets you see if you like the feel of it, do you want it softer? tighter?

once you get your sample down, measure it, calculate how many square inches, and compare it to the whole.

1000 yards is kind of an average, figuring worsted weight yarn, medium density, medium tension, somewhere around 36" square.

for the fancy, hand-spun stuff? I love granny-square patterns for that, because it allows me to do part of it in something cheap and easy, and part of it in something rich or exotic without it looking like I'm scrimping : )

o

Doucanue, unless I get up and go find a crochet pattern (lost in the abyss!) I can't answer your question, but I would like to welcome you to the knit/crochet forum! I am used to seeing you over on the cooking forum.

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here