Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

How much yarn?

doucanoe
12 years ago

Hi there, new to this forum, but have spent a lot of time over the past decade on other forums.

I used to crochet a lot back in the 70's and early 80's but all I have made in the last 20 years is a scarf. Easy peasy.

I started making some baby booties for my daughter who is expecting in June. They call for back post half double crochet and front post half double crocet. I figured out how to do the stitches, but the yarn keeps splitting and I have given up on them for now. Maybe once I have some practice crochet under my belt I'll tackle them again.

For now I'd like to start with a baby afghan and I have found several nice patterns online. Problem is they aren't very specific on how much yarn is needed. One pattern recommends Premier Big Ball brand. Looks like the Big Ball is about 1000 yards of yarn. Another pattern just says "4-ply yarn" and another takes you to a website that sells another brand of yarn.

So....is there a way to figure out approximately how much yarn a small, simple baby blanket will require? I'd really like to get some hand-spun hand-dyed yarn from one of the sellers on Etsy.com, but I have no idea how much I will need for a simple 30 x 40 (or thereabouts ) size blanket.

Thanks in advance....

Linda

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA
More Discussions