Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ribbon yarns

Posted by ilanaeid_md (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 15:45

I bought yarn for a new project today, including ribbon yarn. At $11 a skein (and needing 4 skeins!), I started thinking about the ribbon yarns I see at Joann's/Michael's for half that price. Is there a difference? Is it worth the price to buy the designer yarns?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ribbon yarns

I can't really tell you for sure, as I'm not the most experienced knitter, but I know I've bought some yarns at the craft stores and have been happy with them. I've stayed away from things that look like really low end yarns. For something like a scarf, that I'll probably be tired of in a few years and that won't get a lot of hard use, I figure the less expensive craft store yarns are fine. I did buy some expensive high-end yarn from a yarn shop today for a poncho but I intend to wear it awhile and often, so I figured it was worth it... plus I couldn't find a less expensive yard that I liked as well.

I'll be interested to see if others have had bad experiences with the craft store yarns, but so far they've worked fine for me.

o
RE: Ribbon yarns

I went to Joann's to look at ribbon yarns. Like the more expensive ones, their stuff was 100% nylon. The difference that I could see was the dye. The more expensive ribbon seemed richer and more homemade (that being a good thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here