Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teddy Bear Afghan

Posted by minnie_tx (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 14:54

The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just granny squares and half grannies and made up so cute. I wish I had a photo of the one I made back in 1992 for GD.
I still have the instructions

Here is a link that might be useful: Teddy Bear Afghan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teddy Bear Afghan

minnie tx Would you share the instructions for the Teddy bear afghan?? Please . That is so cute and have a friend who's having a baby in June. If so I will email you my email.

o

Here i a picture of the page that shows the layout I typed the instruction since they are hard to read the photo
Youll need:
worsted -weight 4 ply yarn (3.5 oz)
Approx. 3 skeins each
off-white
Light blue
Light brown
med brown
dk brown

Bears can be all one color if you like.
Crochet Hook G (gee)
Large wiggle eyes 20 pair sew-on type.
brown buttons for belly buttons (I didnt do the belly buttons)
You could embroider them or crochet the eyes.

Basic Granny square used Chain 4 join then
Row 1. Ch 3 (counts as first DC). 2 DC into ring, Ch 3, (3 dc in ring, Ch 3) 3 more times.
join with sl st to top of Ch 3.

Row 2. SL st to Ch 3 space, Ch 3 (counts as first DC) in same space work 2 dc, Ch 3, 3 dc,*ch 1, in corner (ch-3 space), work 3 dc, Ch 3, 3 dc. Repeat from * two more times, join with sl st to top of chain 3.

Row 3. Sl st to any corner space, Ch 3, work 2 dc,ch 3, 3 dc in space, *ch1 3dcin Ch 1 space, ch1, 3 dc, 3 dc in corner. Repeat from * two more times., tie off.
this is just a basic 3 row granny square.

1. Crochet the background. With blue make 93 granny squares.
2. Crochet the teddy bear. (Note: each bear consists of four brown squares, two off-white squares and two ears. Make a total of 20 teddy bears.
Using the above squares:
The face: following basic granny square instructions work Row 1 in brown, Rows 2 and 3 in off-white.
Body Work four brown and one off-white square.

Ear Make 2 for each bear. With G hook Ch 4, join with sl st to form ring.
Row 1 Ch 3, work 30 DC in ring, turn
Row 2, Ch 3, dc in same st, 2 DC in each st around, tie off
3. Assemble Following diagram, and using matching yarn, sew squares together.
NOTE: it is easier to first sew all the Teddy bears faces and bodies together and then sew the background squares. Sew ears on after all bears are sewn together. See Fig 2.
4. Sew wiggle eyes to face and buttons to "belly"

After you make all your squares, lay out so squares are on angles similar to diagram . Arrange them in the colors you want . Then I safety pinned them to the background squares.
It is easier than it sounds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teddy Bear Instructions

o

Check out the links below for more Teddy Bear Afghans. I can't seem to make them clickable. Guess you'll have to copy and paste into your browser.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/Jeanaries/Teddyghans.html

http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1478

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here