Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a way to make self striping yarn stripe evenly?

Posted by bayareafrancy (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 14:31

Hi all,

I just got some of the striping cotton yarn from Lily/Bernat/Sugar n'Cream. I have a very cute "retro ribbed towel" pattern that I want to try. But is there some clever way of measuring to make the stripes come out even (i.e. no color change mid row).

On the Bernat website, they have a placemat pattern where the stripes are perfect. Their other patterns (cloths, bags, etc.) have stripes that change mid row.

I thought of using the placemat measurements for my towel, but it would be way too wide.

Is there a formula or procedure for this kind of thing?

Thank you!

Francy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a way to make self striping yarn stripe evenly?

Francy, just as all of the women in the magazine ads look perfect, so it goes with knitting and crocheting projects that the fiber companies picture. It would be very difficult to get the stripes you're looking for because of so many variables - knit or crochet, what stitches you are using, size of hooks or needles, your tension, etc. If you are inclined to play around with it you might come close, but I think you will be disappointed at some point during the project.

o

I love the self striping yarn - it makes really cute socks....but, the best one can hope for is to start both with the same color, and hope they both turn our pretty much the same. But, I can't see HOW you could make something with it and have the stripes always start a new color just on the edge of the item.....I really don't think it's even possible.

o

Aha! I missed the link to "see more pictures". Duh. I do think it may be the same pattern, or at least very similar.

o
Oops!

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place.

o

I was thinking they probably airbrushed the stripes in the photo where they come out even on the row. :-)

But hey: I started the towel, and so far, they actually ARE coming out correctly! WOW! The color change is happening around the last 5 stitches of the row (60 sts total). And my cast on tail was a wee bit too long. Dang--it could have been picture perfect!

Of course, it may not stay this way, depending on how the yarn is dyed.

I never really expected them to be perfect, but was hoping for tidy looking stripes. I need to learn to use multiple colors of yarn, but my work is usually sloppy looking whenever I add new yarn and/or weave in ends.

Thanks!

:-)

francy

Here is a link that might be useful: Super cute retro ribbed towel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here