Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherbo

Care to see my latest?

cherbo
17 years ago

I don't know if using 100% acrylic medium worsted yarn is the correct yarn to use for socks but I think they came out cute anyway. It is Red Heart's Strata self striping, Pogo.

Comments (15)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Oh, Cherbo, I think those are adorable! And they match perfectly (sometimes a problem with variegated and self striping yarn). I use a sock pattern and worsted weight lots of times. Those are my favorite kind of slippers. I've got some Red Heart Bananaberry waiting for me to start another pair. Good work!

• Maggie4
    17 years ago

I just finished my first pair too. I used a worsted (Red Heart) that I had around. I'm also using mine for slippers. It is only -4 now! Brrrrr I used my hubbys sm dowels for needles. Then yesterday he bought BB-Q bamboo skewers that look smaller and so I'll try them next (just have to recut them)

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Wow, those are GREAT! I bet they feel good when it's cold too and they are so colorful. They make me feel happy.

FlowerLady

• msbee
    17 years ago

Oh so cute!

I wonder if a newbie like me could manage the pattern. Care to share it?

• cherbo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

msbee, they are just a basic sock pattern. The yarn is a self patterning yarn, Pogo-by Red Heart. The yarn does all the work, I just knit. I made sure I started the second sock at the same color I started the first so they would match. I used a solid color of purple for the heels and toes.
    These now belong to my daughter. She likes to wear them around in her dorm room. She says they are pretty warm.

• jenn
    16 years ago

Absolutely adorable!!! I'm curious how one is able to achieve a single stripe with self-striping yarn... in the photo it appears as if the yarn color was designed for that sock pattern and size so that the orange (for example) would complete a stripe before you begin the next row. I guess I'll have to buy some self-striping yarn to find out for myself.

I'm just getting started and hooked on scarves so far... looking forward to socks and sweaters next year.

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

cherbo, those are really cute! Very nice work! Maybe I'm inspired enough to pick up my own socks again (I have about 1/4" done so far) :) Thanks for posting!

• cherbo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jenn and Carol Ann. I thought I was opening a new post when I opened this just now and to my surprise it was an old post of mine and there were those socks I knitted last winter. LOL
    Jenn, I have no idea how those stripes turned out the way they did. I just followed a sock pattern and that's how it turned out. Of course I made sure to start the second sock at the same color in the yarn.

• jenn
    16 years ago

Thanks Cherbo. I just love those!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

Darling, and I usually do not care for varigated yarns all that much. Must try to find this yarn and make SOMEONE such cute slipper socks! Thanks for the inspiration!

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Hi all, my first post over here and I just completed my first pair of socks today. These are made using Lion Brand Magic Stripes yarn. (shhhhh...I think I'm hooked :)

Rebecca

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Good job, Rebecca!

• cherbo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good job Rebecca! Those are sweet! I love that yarn, I'll have to find some. Does it come in many other colors?

Cheryl

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Thanks guys!

Cheryl, according to the lion brand website, there are only two colors available. Jellybean and Denim. I picked up this skein, Sea Blue, last spring when Hancocks was closing it's store. I think I paid $1.50 for it. I was thinking it would be a good value to try out my first pair of socks. Now I can't wait to wear them with my clogs! I wish I had bought the whole loot at that price, but at the time, socks intimidated me.

Rebecca

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Below is a link to listings on ebay for the yarn. I just bought two skeins of bright spring!

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: magic stripes on ebay

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia
More Discussions