Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ideas or suggestions

Posted by danaoh (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 12:12

I will post this somewhere else, too, but I know you are all so helpful. I am 61 years old, no college degree, just laid off. Last year I made quite a few felted wool purses from sweaters. Loved doing it, they turned out really cute. Only did one craft show, sold 2 or 3, very disappointing, but between (probably) wrong audience and economy, not good. Will have uemployment for awhile, but am wondering if it would be worth trying to sell these on e-bay, or find a local store that might take them on consignment. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ideas or suggestions

Personally, I'd try an arty sort of shop....here, there are several art galleries that also carry this sort of thing. I wouldn't put it in a regular old consignment shop, but somewhere that folks might be looking for something a little different, and willing to pay for it...an upscale gift shop, even a nice antique shop might be interested....(I've actually seen them in antique shops...)

o

I agree with sandra. the hand made stuff I've seen on e-bay don't seem to sell for very much. You could try etsy but I'm not sure if that site does much better than e-bay. On vacation in San Francisco last summer, my husband and I stopped in some small towns along the coast and in Sausalito. I saw felted hats going for $50 and up. I remember because I said something to my husband about being able to make them for under $5 and that was a pretty good way to make some real cash...if they sold at that price. They were lovely but pretty basic knitted and crocheted and then felted hats without any real decorations or anything. I remember one or two had been needle felted in very simple designs but those sold for at least $75. So if you live in or near a touristy town maybe see if you can put some in one of the shops. Maybe on a consignment type thing at first to see if they sell. We also have a cool coffee shop here that sells work from local artists, so be open minded about the types of business you approach! A small local yarn shop might be a good place to start.

Good luck!

o

I'm not business savvy, so I can't offer much there. But I just wanted to tell you that I'm so sorry about your current curcumstances. Lay offs are hitting hard in my circle of friends, and though folks are trying to be positive, there is tension under the surface. This is a scary time. I do hope something works out for you soon.

francy

o

Isn't this what etsy.com is for?

I'm so sorry you got laid off. Remember the Census Bureau is hiring.

Good luck with your bags.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here