Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_knitter

Pattern help

new_knitter
17 years ago

I am a new knitter. I would like to make a blanket and am having trouble understading the pattern. There is a section that is titled "Pattern stitch" which outlines a Body Pat (a multiple of 16 sts + 1 st; a rep of 8 rows). It then identifies what to do for each of the 8 rows but from what I can tell indicates only about 16 stitches -- "k1, *yo, k6,(sl 2 sts tog as if to knit, k1, pass the 2 slipped sts over the k1 - double dec made), k6, yo, k1, rep from * across."

Then there is an instructions section that makes more sense saying cast on 97 sts. k 3 rows for garter st border. work 4 rows each of stripes 2-8. rep 4 rows of each stripe for 4 more times. knit 3 rows of stripe 1 for garter st border, bind off all sts loosely.

Am I supposed to work row 4 on in a repeat of the body pat???

PLease help me! :)

Comments (3)

• threejsmom
    17 years ago

You would start the body pattern on row 4. The pattern repeat is 16 st + 1. For a cast on of 97 st, you'll knit the first stitch (the "+1") and then work the 16 st repeat 6 times (total of 96 st). I'm not sure what you mean when you say work 4 rows of each "stripe" when the pattern is 8 rows long. Are the wrong side rows plain, purl only? Are you knittting with 2 colors?

• Janey - formerly jane2
    17 years ago

The Pattern stitch you have written - "k1, *yo, k6,(sl 2 sts tog as if to knit, k1, pass the 2 slipped sts over the k1 - double dec made), k6, yo, k1, rep from * across." - DOES contain 17 stitches.
    k1 + k6 + (sl 2 sts) + k1 + k6 + k1 = 17 stitches.

Sounds like it is me not understanding your question.
    Sorry.
    Is this knit sideways? That is, is it knit up and down, rather than the normal crosswise.

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

No, it contains 16. You are supposed to start counting the repeat part of the pattern when you reach the first * and stop counting when you reach the second *. So k6+ (sl2 sts)+k1+k6+k1 = 16 sts.

That first k1 that appears BEFORE the first * is knit only at the beginning of the row and isn't part of the repeat. If you cast on 97 sts, you will be doing the 16 st pattern repeat 6 times. Since 6x16=96, when you add in that k1 st at the beginning of the row, you will come out with 97 sts (96+1=97).

Then there's the color pattern. You're working with eight colors. You use color A for the borders, which are 3 rows of garter stitch at the start and finish. This prevents the blanket from curling. After you knit the first three rows with color A, you'll switch to color B and knit 4 rows of the pattern stitch. Then you'll switch to color C and pattern stitch 4 more rows. Then switch to color D and so on, knitting 4 rows of each of colors B through H. That gives you 28 rows (4x 7=28). Then you go back to color B and repeat the 28-row color pattern 4 more times. Then you knit 3 rows of garter stitch with color A and bind off.

In total, the finished blanket will have 148 rows, including 6 rows of the 2-row color A border (3x2=6) and 140 rows of the 7-color stripe pattern (28x5=140).

Since you're working with so many colors, it's important how you arrange the colors of striping. Each color should fall next to other colors that look good with it. In choosing colors for this kind of knitting, you might select differnt shades of the same color (navy shading up to pale blue, for example) for a subtle effect, or you might deliberately pick contrast colors to create a folky look.

Sounds like a fun project!

Sponsored
More Discussions