Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please, what is wool roving?

Posted by suebdoo (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 11:21

Hello knitters and crocheters

I was reading a toy pattern the other day. In the list of materials needed, it called for wool roving.

I have no idea what this is. Could someone please explain?

I sure would appreciate the help!

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please, what is wool roving?

Wool roving looks like wool before it is spun into yarn. It is just fluffy wool, much like what you would buy in a polyester bag of stuffing if you were making a toy and needed stuffing. Only it is much lovelier than any polyester.

The only roving I have seen in my local yarn shop is already dyed. I want to learn to knit with roving and yarn to make another pair of bed socks like the ones I bought. They were imported from Australia and are thick knit socks fully lined with the roving. Boy, do they make the most wonderful bed socks! I would buy more pairs for me and family, but they were at a school holiday boutique, and I cannot locate the seller at all. Nevertheless, I figure I should be able to knit some, if I could only find a pattern. I understand that type of knitting is called thrumming.

o

sheilajoyce, thank you so much for your response.

I don't recall seeing it at our local wool shop.
This particular toy pattern used the roving for detail work on the toy.

Those bed socks certainly sound warm and cozy! Now I will keep a lookout for a sock pattern as such.

Thanks again.
Sue

o

sheilajoyce there is a pattern for your socks here
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socksthrum.htm

suebdoo there are many places to get wool roving, just search on
http://www.google.com/
I see you're in Canada. You can try Briggs & Little, they have excellent service and ship fast
www.briggsandlittle.com
If you're on the western side try Custom Woolen Mill
http://www.customwoolenmills.com/

o

qiviut, thanks so much for the info.

I will check out Briggs & Little website as soon as I exit this site.

thanks again.
Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here