Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huggybear_2008

latest baby blanket and hat for preemies

huggybear_2008
15 years ago

Here is the latest preemie blanket and hat I crocheted for the hospital.. made out of left over yarn...

Comments (26)

• junef
    15 years ago

Nice, not only the blanket & hat but the hospital also. Keep up the good work.

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Nice work. And I think that is a very nice color combination.

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

we had preemie grandsons they were born 3 months early, we lost one after only 18 days but the other one made it..and will be 16 years old this April, I can remember how hard it was to find tiny items for the babies in the hospital.. I would go to visit and the babies are so tiny, so I made up my mind I would make items for them..I know some do not make it and the parents are stressed enough ,not to have to worry about what to put on the little ones.. so I make tiny white blankets and hats and demise blankets also.. but I also make the bright ones for the ones who do make it.. blues, yellows and pinks and greens all the bright colors.. our little guy who made it was in the hospital for almost 3 months.. so I leaned really fast how much they all need..
    Huggy

• orchidann
    15 years ago

The hat and blanket is just precious. I love the color combination. Is there a pattern for the blanket??

I'm a member of an organization that makes hats for preemies, I'd like to introduce the idea of colorful hats and blankets, I think the families would be so grateful.
    Ann

• socks
    15 years ago

Very nice, and the hat is adorable.

Recently my DS and DIL lost their baby, stillborn at 7 months. Baby was wrapped in a little blue knit blanket and was dressed in a blue hat. When DS and DIL showed them to me, I was overcome with emotion because I knew someone like you fine ladies had knit them for people like my DS and DIL. It meant a lot to them, and they left the hospital not with a baby but not empty-handed either. They have the keepsake blanket and hat. Thank you so much for the good work you do. You probably don't get many direct thank you's, but please know your work is so meaningful.

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

socks, I am so sorry for you and your son and DIL's loss, and as a grandmother, like you.. I know how you feel.. I think the loss of my sweet little baby was one of the hardest things I had to go thru..and this is my way of giving back to all the folks at the hospital that gave so much to me and the family not only with the loss of our grandson, but for taking such good care of the twin who made it.. wow going to be 16 this april.. He and I share a lot together.. we go to his brother's grave site and put toys, flowers, wreaths, crosses and bunnies, angels..what ever we can find that we think he would like.. It just brings us closer together and keeps him always in our hearts. At Christmas we make Christmas swags for all the little ones at the grave site where Conner is.. and it helps us to give something to those who have lost their little ones too.. I think with sharing in this way.. my grandson does not feel guilty that he made it and his little twin did not.. because for a few years, he kept asking me why he did and his twin did not.. Now he can accept it.. he has a purpose on this earth.. God Bless you and your Family..

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

orchidann, the little blankets do not take much yarn and with preemies, some blankets are just too big to wrap around them.. they are so tiny.. this blanket is just the right size. and good to take baby home in also. you can also make little fleece blankets too.. 1 yard would make two blankets .. not to thick , but just right to use on a stroller, or in their bed ..
    Huggy

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this is a fleece blanket I made for a sweet little baby who had a lot of problems when she was born.. many surgeries.. she is doing better now ,however; still needs more surgeries.. so I just thought it would cheer her up.. I know this is a crochet and knitting forum , but though some of you might like to see what you can make for not much money,
    Huggy

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Orchidann, you can find premie patterns at the link below. There are knit, crochet and sewing patterns, with the sizes needed in measurements, also. I have no association with the site, but have used some of the patterns.

Tami

Here is a link that might be useful: premie patterns

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Orchidann, I will check and see what pattern I used.. I think it was just a baby ripple pattern but Iused a small hook..like an F size.. I will measure and let you know for sure what the size is. there is also a hat pattern I will get that for you too.. it is really easy.
    there are several premie sites. I like the ripple or the shell patterns.. just seems to give the blanket a little more structure..
    Huggy

• socks
    15 years ago

Thanks, Huggy.

• orchidann
    15 years ago

Huggy and Tami sincere thanks to both of you, for directing me to marvelous, resources for preemies. I'm getting started today on a cap(s), I'll be adding a blanket for each cap, just can resist
    Tami I am also in Ohio NW, just outside Toledo

Socks 12345 it never dawned on me that the cap and blanket would be a keepsake who experienced the loss of a baby.
    Loads of thanks again.
    Hope you all continue to post your beautiful work.
    Ann

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey gang, I am in Northern Kentucky and I take mine to Univeral Hospital and Childrens Hospital.. My twin grandson who did not make it.. mother has everything he had ever used.. from lambswool type under blanket to all his little tags etc.. we did not get to get a hospital photo of him cause he was to sick to take photos.. but they did take one of him after he passed away which of course was just not something you would want.. however; we do have them and I took one to the photo shop in Cincinnati and asked him to see what he could do with it to make it look better.. costed me a ton, and it was done very poorly.. so I worked with it on Photoshop and Paint and was able to get a much better one for his twin brother to have...he has it on his dresser at home.. The hospitals also go thru a lot of receiving blankets and I have been making them latley out of single layer of fleece and using a scalloped edge rotor cutter to do the edges instead of the tying fringe.. much easier for the hospital to use in the wards. here is a picture of one.

and here is one I made for the premies...

the solid color ones only cost me $1.50 to make and the printed ones about $2.50 to make
    Huggy

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Bless you all! Orchidann, which direction out of Toledo? Maybe sometime we could meet half way for lunch!

Huggy those blankets are beautiful. I will have to ask if our hospital will take them. They would be quick for me to make. Our knitting group, and several others in the area, make hats and mittens for our ER to give to kids and some adults who come in with out any for the winter. We also dress teddy bears for the kids who have to have traumatic procedures done or are going thru a traumatic time in the ER. And make blankets for a childrens emergency shelter.

Tami

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tami, you can make two receiving blanket out of 1 yard of fleece.. they had fleece on sale at Hancocks Fabrics the other day for $2.99 a yard so I bought up several yards. was going to make the tie blankets..but thought the receiving blankets would be better for the premies and the little babies.. I also watch for on line auctions for good buys in coats and items that I think shelters could use.. some are sorta outdated.. but when a person is cold and the coat is free they do not care where it came from and just how old it is.. some of the auctions they sell the entire closets full and at times can pick the entire contents for a couple of bucks..
    And Tami, I just have a regular Brother sewing machine nothing fancy..but it does have some pretty stitches on it and that is what I used around the edge of the little blankets. and the scalloped edge rotor cutter.. makes for an easy quick blanket and nothing to get in the way of iv's and things that the little ones usually have. and also they make a nice little gift to send the baby home with.
    Huggy

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

huggy, what a beautiful job you did!
    You are so kind.

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks suebdoo, and all, but it just giving back.. what good is it if you have it and can't give it back.. you know what I mean.. I feel so lucky that we have one of the twins,and he I might add will be 16 years old this April.. that I just want to say Thanks to all that helped us in time of need and I just want to help those who are where we were 16 years ago.. and since I am not a doctor.. LOL I do the thing I know how to do best.. and that is giving what ever I can.. I always hope by sharing that it inspires others to do the same and with this wonderful group of people.. I think it has.. there is always need somewhere in this world and we can all do our share.. even if it is giving someone a smile to brighten up their day..
    :)
    Huggy

• socks
    15 years ago

Huggy, I didn't know there was a scalloped rotary blade. That makes a great finished edge along with the machine stitching. I'll have to check those out at Joanns.

How big do you make the receiving blankets? 36 x 36?

Susan

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

socks, fleece is normally 60"wide.. so if you get a yard..which is 36" it would be 36 x60 and if you cut that in half.. it would be right around 30 x 36 mine end up being about 34 x 35 give or take a few inches.. I had an older rotter cutter but my newer one is a olfa.. and they have several different blades to use.. they have a wave, a pinking , and a scallop.. they may have more but those are the ones that I have seen.. and it does make sense to use them or pinking shears and not make the ties as the ties take up a lot of space and the preemie wards doe not need the extra fancy ties .. they just get in the way.. now if you just want to make going home blankets then the ties are fine.. now the crochet blanket that has the little hat is right around 27 X 24 just the right size for a preemie.. If you work for a group and make the blankets you may be able to get a tax free discount.. but you would have to have your group's tax exempt number..and most of the fabric stores will honor those numbers..Me I just make them on my own not group.. just to help me feel good too.. if you know what I mean.. My only thing is I only have so much time and so much money can only do so much.. wish I could do more.. but I will do what I can with what I have.. and hope others feel the same.. the babies and the older folks always get to me.. I guess I am just an old soft hearted granny who loves kids and older folks.. but I care about the young ones too who are stuggling to make ends meet..
    we all need help sometime or other .. this is my time to share with others..
    Huggy

• socks
    15 years ago

Very helpful info. I didn't know fleece was 60". Thanks. I'll take a look at the fabric and blades next time I go.

I called our local hospital today, and they said there is no organized group, but the sizes they want are 32x28 or 30x30. They didn't mention any little premie blankets. So I'll see what I can do when I finish up the odds and ends I'm working on now.

You're a very kind person. There's no telling how many people have been touched by your efforts.

Susan

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Thanks Huggy. I'll see what I can do.

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All of you make me smile .... see you all have already joined the folks that care.. Thanks and I am sure those that receive your items and your smiles will always remember them and your kindness. All the babies say..
    THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND GOD BLESS YOU.....
    Huggy

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

orch, here is the pattern I used for the crocheted preemie blanket, and I used a size F hook.. just worked the colors the way I wanted them.. you can do the same.. and I surely can not remember where I put the hat pattern , but I will find it. I did not put any fringe on the baby blanket..and I just used yarn that I had gotten from Wal-Mart a little while back and this was left over from that project.. you could use any color combination that you wanted.. I think even lite green and yellow would be pretty.. or pink and white. pink and green also.. or just all white and edge with what ever color you wanted.

Baby Ripple Afghan
    Lion Brand® Terryspun
    GAUGE:

Each repeat = 5 inches (13 cm) wide; 4 inches [10 cm] high. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
    STITCH EXPLANATION:

Beg dec Pull up a Ip in first 2 sts, yo and draw through all 3 Ips on hook.
    End dec Pull up a lp in last 2 Sts, yo and draw through all 3 Ips on hook.

NOTES:

When changing to A, B, or C from MC, first row is worked through both loops.

AFGHAN (multiple of 13 sts)
    With A, ch 77.
    Row 1 (RS) With A, sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in each of next 4 ch, 3 sc in next ch, 1 sc in each of next 5 ch, *skip 2 ch, 1 sc in each of next 5 ch, 3 sc in next ch, 1 sc in each of next 5 ch; repeat from *.
    Rows 2-4 Ch 1, tum. Working in back loops only, work beg dec, 1 sc in each of next 4 sc, 3 sc in next sc, *1 sc in each of next 5 sc, skip 2 sc, 1 sc in each of next 5 sc, 3 sc in next sc; repeat from *, end 1 sc in each of next 4 sc, work end decrease.
    Rows 5 and 6 With MC, ch 1, tum. Working in both loops, work beg decrease, 1 sc in each of next 4 sc, 3 sc in next sc, *1 sc in each of next 5 sc, skip 2 sc, 1 sc in each of next 5 sc, 3 sc in next sc; repeat from *, end 1 sc in each of next 4 sc, work end decrease.
    Row 7 With B, repeat Row 5. Rows 8-10 Work as for Rows 2-4. Rows 11 and 12 With MC, repeat Rows 5 and 6. Rows 13-16 With C repeat Rows 7-10. Repeat Rows
    11-16 keeping to MC as established on Rows 11 and 12 and alternating colors on Rows 13-16,2 times more Fasten off.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

My son was not a preemie, but he had cancer when he was a baby. Wonderful people like you made blankets for all the kids in the pediatric oncology ward. My Sam is a nearly 11 year old healthy, happy, basketball super star and he still sleeps with that blanket. A picture of him sitting in a wagon with an IV tube trailing into his port and that blanket wrapped around him was posted in a newsletter for the families of the sick children that year. I know you didn't crochet that blanket for him (or maybe you did??? ;o), but as the mother of a child who was gifted with one, thank you. We will treasure it always.

Robin

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rmlanza, I am so happy to hear about your wonderful son.. and to hear that his blanket meant so much to him.. and that he is doing so well.. God works in strange ways..and you are so blessed... It is so wonderful to hear that you as well as he treasure his gift that someone made for him with love and their heart.. always treasures the fact that someone cared enough to want to share what they had with you and your awesome son...Tonight when he goes to bed.. give him a hug from me.. just to let him know we are out there , and we do care about all the children, and we are trying to help as many as we can.. one day at a time.. I know you are as proud of your son as I am of my wonderful grandson who will be oh my don't tell him I said this .. "SWEET SIXTEEN" but he is without a doubt the sweetest and kindness young man I know.. but then I am his granny.. LOL God love you all
    Huggy

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally found the pattern for the preemie hat that I crocheted in yellow with blue accent. you can use any color combination you want.. I used a size "F" hook and regular yarn. This tiny hat does not take much yarn..
    Pattern

1. ch 4, join w sl st to form ring 2. ch 1, work 10 sc in ring, do not join w sl st, keep working in rounds

3. 2 sc in ea sc around (20 sc)

4. work 1 rnd even (20 sc)

5. 2 sc in ea sc around (40 sc)

6. work 1 rnd even (40 sc)

7. *1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (60 sc)

8. continue working sc in rounds until cap measures 8" from top to bottom

9. end off, weave end into outside edge

1. turn up 2" cuff